1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 11 exercise and PT?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ithantech, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Ithantech

Ithantech Peer Supporter

In the past two weeks, I have increased my exercise level and started PT. Have others tried blending the TMS mindset with OR? Here's my exercise journey

Yesterday, I went to the gym for the first time since the onset of symptoms 4 weeks ago. I did the elliptical for 30 minutes. I started out pretty gently but 15 minutes in, challenged myseld to speed up for just a few seconds. Found i could sustsin that. Iced leg muscles when I got home. Later in the day, walked around the block with my dog.

I'm a bit sore today but that is to be expected.

So that's all good.

Perhaps more controversial is my decision to try PT. I know Dr. Sarno does not recommend, but I felt there were things I could learn. I've gone twice and will go again today. I notice in order to keep the TMS mindset, I have to let some of the questions and attitudes was over me.

For instance, I'm not sure my first to the gym would have been sanctioned

But some of the back massage and.stretching exercises seem really beneficial. I've learned my posture needs to improve. So I approach it as a learning experience. Yet I also see how it makes it more challenging to stay TMS focused.

Had anyone else tried Physical Therapy as a complement to their TMS journey?

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ithantech,

I just saw this post and wanted to say hello, as a PT myself I can answer any questions you have about this! Yes sometimes PT during TMS recovery is appropriate but it REALLY depends on the nature of why you are in PT and the attitude of the therapist. I haven't seen your full story so don't know the situation but feel free to ask. Things like posture and stretching definitely have a place depending on the situation but generally shouldn't be emphasized as treatment of TMS as they emphasize a structural mindset. That being said, if you get temporary relief from stretching but understand it will not fix the underlying cause of your pain that is fine! I like the analogy of taking Tylenol for a fever...won't cure the virus but helps for a little bit to get through it. Let me know if you have any questions about this approach :)

3. Ithantech

Ithantech Peer Supporter

Thanks so much for the reply. I have told my PT about my belief in TMS, and he says that he has heard about and respects the mindbody connection. I put myself in the mindset that the exercises are helping me get stronger and more flexible.

One area I would like your advice is this... The PT uses a handheld device to measure the strength of resistance in my foot. There is still a very big gap between my left foot and my right. Left is where the pain expressed itself and measures weaker. He says this is indicative of the nerve impulses not getting through.

As much as I know my pain symptoms were TMS and not not physical, I also don't want to look back and say I ignored something I shouldnt have.

I'll probably go back to my GP. But he is not familiar with TMS.

4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Great that your PT is supportive! In terms of the weakness, this is very normal if you're coming off of a painful TMS spell. Pain is inhibitory to muscles, this is a well documented occurrence. Thankfully this is reversible like all TMS and will resolve with time, thats just how neural pathways work. I experienced this with my back pain (one hip was weaker for a little while), most people on these forums and who have ever had TMS probably had the same thing. Think of it as a normal occurrence and it won't worry you as much. My personal approach would be to de-emphasize the mild weakness, not measure it frequently and just do exercises like normal, continuing to think of yourself (and your weaker spots!) as healthy and strong.

Also remember the simple idea that TMS truly is Mind-Body...the mind literally causes physical symptoms like weakness (not always just pain)- they are real! But they are reversible and normal in nature. Hope that helped.

5. Ithantech

Ithantech Peer Supporter

Thank you. Really helpful perspective.