1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 11 Day 11-advice about exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mmo4, Oct 17, 2013.

1. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

Ok I read about exercise in the program. I can see how a false connection is made between exercise and TMS-like a phobia. One question I have is Sarno says to wait until pain is gone or almost gone to resume exercise (like jogging). But I know with phobias you have to nip it in the bud (the longer you wait, the worse the phobia). Any thoughts?

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

mmo4 are you talking about a phobia to exercise?
    if so then that could be a conditioned response and
    through reprogramming you can rid yourself of this issue
    also phobias can be extinguished by different strategies like the nlp phobia cure.

So if you could elaborate a little further im sure I can answer your question

Thanks

3. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

I guess I am just comparing it to a phobia (although it is fear of pain vs. regular anxiety). The big question is Sarno says to start exercising once pain is gone or almost gone. Do I start doing it now (to challenge fear of pain) or wait until no pain.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Well I started when I was next to no pain, so I still had a little
    and then I got to doing pretty good, but id have the occasional
    set-back. So I decided I was going to heal all the way before I went back
    to my exercises and maybe a month later I felt the pain just leave mmo4
    it was very exciting to know this had happened , talking about building my faith
    in tms healing - wow,
    So you can try both styles like when it resides to see if you can beat away any atrophy
    and if you have any set-backs as in pain coming back on like I did
    you might want to then take it easy till you heal all the way.
    See, mmo4 were all different so you might start exercising after the subsiding of the pain
    and do really well, you did mention fear of the pain and if you have that fear mixed with the fear of exercise
    it might be to soon, its your decision though
    How long have you been on the journey now?

5. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

It has only been 11 days! So I am going to practice patience and wait until I feel better. Thanks!