1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 10

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Rachel72, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Rachel72

Rachel72 New Member

So, today I am supposed to give a brief update on my progress in the program so far. I have had a significant reduction in the chronic pain neck, shoulder and chest pain I had for the past few months. I have had a few moments of acute, what I like to call zingers, where I will get a jolt of sharp pain, usually in my neck, in varying spots. Those still take me for a ride, although I am happy to say that the zinger I had today did not freak me out like the couple I had last week. Baby steps! Anyway, I have noticed, particularly today, that as my physical pain diminishes, I have been feeling more anxious. I have been journaling about past traumatic experiences that involve my family. Just so happens that I am leaving for a week long vacation with my family tomorrow!!! The drama between my mom and my sister has already started, and as usual, they both try to put me in the middle bc I am the "rational" one. I don't think it is a coincidence that my anxiety has ratcheted up today. I plan to keep working the program throughout my vacation so I can stay on track with the progress I've made so far. Wish me luck!!!

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations on all your success! It is very common for anxiety to increase as TMS symptoms decrease. Now that you are aware of the family dynamics you are better prepared to adjust your reaction to them. Our families and other relationships are often complicated, but with increased awareness of how our reactions to this stress impact our health, we can begin to change. Forgiveness of others for past perceived poor treatment is a very powerful antidote to TMS.

Hope you are able to find some joy and relaxation during your vacation.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Rachel. I agree with Ellen that forgiveness is a very potent in TMS emotional healing. I did some journaling about my boyhood feelings of abandonment and insecurity when my parents divorced when I was seven. It led me to put myself in their shoes and I came to realize they had a lot of TMS stress that showed up in my father's chronic back aches and my mother's frequent migraines. Long story short, I forgave them and my own severe back pain went away.

In you case, you're in the middle of your mother's and sister's dispute. On the upcoming vacation, try to be a spectator, not a referee, if possible.

4. Brandon J

Brandon J New Member

Hi Rachel, Thank you so much for sharing. I am on Day One of the program and its so great to hear that you have been improving. Good luck on your trip, family stuff can be so stressful, you are not alone in that!