1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by annarowens, Dec 20, 2015.

1. annarowens

annarowens Peer Supporter

So I skipped yesterday because I ran out of time. Typically I would have punished myself for this but I chose instead to be okay with the fact that I didn't get around to it yesterday. It doesn't mean its not important to me, it actually means its very important to me because I am reframing my thought patterns on a regular basis. I do have a couple of questions however. My first question is concerning addressing the issues that started the TMS. While I know exactly what they are, when I try to actually process them, I don't think I'm able to do that yet. Its almost like I am very aware of their contribution to the pain but I don't possess the capability to actually "go back there" and feel what I felt then. I wonder if this will keep me from being able to free myself from TMS? I have heard opinions from both sides, even on this forum. Some say you must process the issues in order for your pain to heal and some say simply becoming aware and acknowledging them is enough to eventually create new neural pathways and stop reinforcing the old. Does anyone have any feedback on this? One more question. Before I began taking this diagnosis seriously, I scheduled two treatments for my shoulder. One is a nerve block and one is called neurogenics. They both serve to actually change the neural pathways of the brain by stopping the looping pain signal and giving the brain a chance to have a reprieve from that pathway in order to develop new pathways. I am curious as to what people think as to whether I should keep these appointments? Part of me says no because of what I have heard on the forum, but part of me says since these treatments are complimentary to the TMS diagnosis (unlike surgery and such) they may actually be helpful. They do not negate the fact that there is nothing wrong with my shoulder beyond TMS; rather they serve as an adjunct. It appears to be a rather gray area and I am unsure how to proceed. If they do me no good, they do me no good. I don't really see how they could set me back in that I do believe that my pain is 100% TMS and they are only reinforcers of this belief to help the process along. I realize I don't NEED these treatments to get better, but I've already paid for them so why not go ahead with them? Any answers would be greatly appreciated! I hope everyone is having a great day!

Its a journey!!!
    Anna

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Anna. I believe Dr. Sarno when he says we do not have to solve the problems that cause us TMS pain. We just have to identify them, and then our subconscious lets go of the pain.

I would go ahead with the treatments and as you say, treat them are reinforcers that you believe 100 percent in TMS emotions causing your pain.

Thanks for the "great day" wish. TMS really is a journey, but one of the best ones I have ever been on! Maybe even THE BEST.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi annarowens,

I don't want to make a comment on the nerve treatment, because I don't know about it.

Your experience of not being able to "feel" as much as you think you might, should not discourage you. Feeling more will happen in its own time, if it is needed. Meantime you are approaching the SEP with a lot of sincerity and you are learning about your patterns. And even forgiving yourself for "not doing a day." This is all to the good!

The patience you have for "not doing a day" can come right over to "not knowing whether I need to feel things more." You can observe and accept the desire to "do it right" and "fix the problem" without necessarily believing all the anxiety and pressure that is occurring around this question. It is hard to not know how we are doing, and it is also observable, and doesn't need to run us with anxiety.

Andy B.