1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 aha

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ithantech, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Ithantech

Ithantech Peer Supporter

Today's exercise was to write an unsent letter to someone causing present stress. I wrote about a work related issue. It felt good, in a "let it hang out" way, to rehash a year's worth of angst, stress, pain, upset. There was a duel going on in my head about what did I do to cause this vs. I need to appreciate the value of who I am and what great things I offer. Several pages in to my unsent letter, I reflected on the observation of a trusted friend and colleague, who noted that I have a very direct way of communicating. She said it can take people by surprise because they aren't used to people being that direct.

My aha was that I can find simple ways to stay true to myself while increasing the likelihood my communication will be well received. Simply prefacing my statements with phrases like, " now this is going to sound very direct..."

As I write this, I'm also aware that different environments tolerate and encourage different communication styles. There is a certain maturity and responsibility needed to read the environment.

At one level, this is a positive aha. It can increase understanding. I'm also aware, that it feels like work and gives me a feeling of tiredness. But I suspect that of I can try it on, and I see results, then it may be energizing.