1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day 1*

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cmenow24, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Cmenow24

Cmenow24 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm going to give you a quick synopsis of my pain journey since I believe many of us have more of less the same story.
    I was a healthy 23 year old woman who was strong and pain free. I visited my grandmother in Italy who had just had a stroke, I did my best to help which included chopping and hauling firewood. On the plane back, my back started hurting and never stopped ... Diagnosed with spondylolithesis After meds, braces, laminectomy fusion, pt, holistic, acupuncture, Chiro, more meds and everything in between etc etc etc..I have basically resorted to taking meds every day through pain center. I am now 52 and listened to someone on Wgn radio talk about Dr Sarno book. I also happened to be going to get another X-ray and sure enough in waiting room a Oprah magazine with an article about tms. I went home and found Dr Sarno s first book on my shelf that I bought probably 25 years ago.. This time I am ready to follow the plan. I've always believed that my pain was not physical but so hard years ago to get assistance and support with tms. And I guess I moved away from the belief especially when physicians where so quick to prescribe meds and a"fix ". I now an going through withdrawals and it is so hard.. And difficult to separate the back pain to withdrawal pain. But I am doing it!

SunnyinFL and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, Cemenow, and I have to say that is one of the best stories in a really short paragraph that I think I've ever read here! (Sorry, everyone else :joyful:). I feel like I have a pretty good picture of where you're coming from and that you are really ready to do this work. It does seem like the universe finally pointed you in the right direction and I'm happy you are here! We're here to support you, answer questions, provide encouragement, offer commiseration when needed, and keep you going. Hopefully you'll want to do the same! This is definitely a group effort.

Keep posting!welcomea
    ~Jan

Cmenow24 and SunnyinFL like this.
  3. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Cmenow24,

Welcome! I also have to say that i love your screen name - C me now!

Isn't it interesting to look back and see how life continually pointed you back to Sarno/TMS? The exact same thing happened to me - I was told about Sarno, told about the book, told about mind-body syndrome from several different directions. Then the stars aligned and I had a big ah-ha: "oh, this (TMS) is what is going on!" That realization catapulted me forward and onto a journey of healing and recovery - and I am so thankful. The information I've learned from Dr. Sarno, Dr. Schubiner, and others on this wiki has literally changed my life - but, not overnight. The journey has its ups and downs and is a an ongoing process.

I'm so happy that you've discovered this wiki - you now have a large community of support. Please keep us posted, continue to persist, and trust that the healing will come. Best wishes! Sunny

Cmenow24 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Cmenow24. It can be hard to distinguish TMS pain from withdrawal symptoms, but if you slow down or attempt to stop medication, be sure to do it with your doctor's advice. It will help you to believe 100 percent in TMSD causing your pain, and it looks like you do believe this very important part of the healing process. Be patient in the process of backing down off pain medication. You are a wonderfully determined person who wants to heal, and you will.
    Keep working in the SEP and it will get you there.

Cmenow24, SunnyinFL and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. Cmenow24

Cmenow24 New Member

Wow, thanks so much for the support it means so much. I have to say it has been brutal these last few days I knew it would be hard but tramadol is horrible to get of.. But I am trying my best and barreling through. Glad you like my code name!

Lizzy, SunnyinFL and JanAtheCPA like this.