1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by zero76, May 24, 2015.

1. zero76

zero76 New Member

I've been suffering from sciatic pain for 5 months and I kept coming across Dr Sarno's name on sciatica forums so I finally looked into it, and I'm glad I did! My Mri shows 2 herniated discs, one that seems to be pressing on the S1 nerve root. I had a cortisone injection that relieved the pain, though not the strong tingling. At my follow up appointment I told the dr the pain was pretty much gone but the strong tingling was still there and affecting my quality of life. He advised me to not get another injection and save my money for surgery, and to try to just suck it up for a couple months and see if it got any better. I left the office in tears, and the pain returned and is now worse. This is bad news of course, but I was excited when I made the connection between the pain returning and this stressful/disappointing dr visit. Sounds like TMS!

I believe that TMS is real, and I am praying that this is what I have. In the back of my head I worry that I am one of the few who really DO need surgery and am I continuing to be in pain needlessly when surgery could have fixed this months ago. And I worry that I won't see results soon enough to really give the program a chance to work before I get discouraged and try something else.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, zero76.

I would follow your doctor's advice and wait a few months before getting surgery.
    Dr. Sarno says herniated discs most often do not cause pain. The pain may be because you fear
    you are structurally damaged.

I would spend the next few months doing the SEP and thinking TMS is causing your pain.
    TMS healing requires 100 percent belief that pain is psychological and not structural,
    so as long as you continue to think cortisone or surgery will relieve your pain for good,
    it will probably stay with you. But you may very well notice less pain if you believe it is TMS.

Do give the SEP a chance to heal you. It has helped many others, me included.

Don't be impatient to heal from TMS pain. It came because of some repressed emotions
    and/or a perfectionist-goodist personality. It will take a while to discover all that,
    and the SEP will help you. JOurnaling is especially helpful.