1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Janine, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Janine

Janine New Member

Hi everyone. I'm Janine. I am a stress and anxiety coach (I overcame generalized anxiety disorder 15 years ago) and last week one of my clients Fed Ex-ed me Dr Sarno's book overnight! ...Healing Back Pain. He told me I was going to get better because he did. I have gone through many years of lower back pain and the last 4 with significant neck and back pain. I've seen many Dr.s, had MRI's , a mylogram, EMG's, chiropractor for two years, acupuncture and Chinese medicine for 6 months and $15,ooo....not covered by insurance, PT for neck and for scoliosis , (two different Dr's for a 33 percent curve), a laminectomy surgery, " 2 pinched nerves" , injections - several...I'm sure I've missed some! One comment which was made by a surgeon which stands out in my mind is "You don't deserve this pain" after looking at my MRI. I have an appointment in late May to see Dr. Rashbaum for the diagnosis, even though I already believe it to be TMS. I am ready to do the work. I'm reading the Divided Mind now and I am following the structured education program here in the recovery forum. There's so much information here. I'm so grateful for the professional who are moving full force to educate all of us. Thanks for listening and I look forward to feeling better.

Lavender and Zade like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello, dear Janine.
    Welcome to the TMS healing club. We are here to help you, as others have helped us.

My first advice is put your May visit to Dr. Rashbaum on hold and work on the SEP. Maybe
    do some additional reading on TMS. Besides Dr. Sarno's books, I recommend
    Steve Ozanich's THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION and, pardon the plug, but my own TMS healing book,
    GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO BE IN PAIN (co-authored with another TMSer, Eric Watson).
    It's available in paperback and Kindle edition (both cheap) from amazonsmile.com

You've seen enough doctors and spent more than enough to heal. Medical tests may tell us what
    doctors think are causing our pain, but after all you've learned from them you are still hurting.
    That means that even though the pain may show up as structural, that very likely was caused by
    TMS. Repressed emotions (subconscious anger) and/or a perfectionist and "goodist" personality.

Don't spend more than an hour a day on SEP or journaling because you can overdo it.
    Spend half an hour to an hour a day browsing through the various other subforms here.
    Especially the one where people tell how they healed.

I'm 84 and have had a lifetime of stress and anxiety. I suffered severe back pain two years ago
    and thought it was from heavy lifting, but learned it was TMS, from repressed feelings of
    abandonment and insecurity from my parents divorcing when I was 7. I journaled and learned they
    had their own TMS. Understanding them better (years after they passed on) led me to forgive them
    and that led to my back pain going away.

Good luck as you begin your TMS adventure of self-discovery. It is wonderful and you will become
    healthier and happier than you ever imagined.

Bless you.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome Janine,
    You have come to the right place. I spent 20K on doctors on one year "treating" severe foot pain, and when I began to engage Dr. Sarno's work, I was back to normal in a few months. Like a miracle! Good luck in your journey.
    Andy B.

4. Janine

Janine New Member

Thank you Walt, for taking the time to write. I love your advice and insights, and it will help me as I go forward. Who would have known that your pain resulted from feelings of abandonment and insecurity. If you have a pain, do you relate it to your childhood or what you are feeling in the present? Or maybe you haven't felt pain since you have recovered. Congratulations on your recovery and your book. Good for you! You are an inspiration. Bless you too.
    Janine

5. Janine

Janine New Member

Hi Andy. Thank you for your reply. I'm so glad for you. Thanks for sharing all the expenses you have suffered as well. And Thanks for letting me know that it took a few months to recover. I will not have expectations of when I will recover, but will go through the process. Wishing you the best.
    Janine