1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

DAY 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by PatrickG, Feb 9, 2015.

1. PatrickG

PatrickG New Member

Hi Everyone,

Today is day 1 of my SEP journey. I've already posted this but I have suffered from back pain for the past 3 years and exhausted EVERY conventional, and alternative option; epidural injections, pain meds (of which I became addicted to), Chiro, ART, Yoga, Acupuncture, with zero relief other than the masking of pain meds.
    One month ago, I read "Healing back pain" and FINALLY found some relief...until last week. In retrospect, I've had 4 knee surgeries (torn lateral meniscus), and currently have two torn rotator cuffs, which I can now say are symptoms of TMS. My back pain came back with a vengeance four days ago. I tried applying what I've learned in the book, ie; talking to my brain, thinking about my repressed emotions (anger) and started reading "Mind Body prescription). However, the pain has gotten so bad that I had to start taking my pain meds again. I have an appointment with Dr Raushbaum tomorrow. I posted this and it was recommended that I start the SEP.

What would a life without TMS mean to you?
    My life w/o TMS would allow me to be more active in my children's lives. I was very much into progressive calisthenics and TMS has brought that to a hault. I would be able to return that passion of mine. I also would much more productive at work opposed to constantly taking breaks to rest or ice my back. My life would (and has been for the 4 weeks I felt relief) be filled with purpose. I would finally be at peace and free of pain.

Stella likes this.
  2. linapina

linapina New Member

Hi there Patrick,
    Just starting out myself and I just wanted to say hi. So great that you found relief from reading Healing back pain. I read it about a week ago and I didn't get pain relief but hope. Which is big!
    Hope we''ll get better soon!
    Lina

Stella likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Patrick,
    When I wrote the response to this question, the idea of having a normal life after several years of foot pain seamed like a dream. Good luck on the magical journey!
    Andy B.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Patrick, you write that you have anger. That needs to be explored. Journaling can help you to put the causes of
    your anger down on paper so you can think about them. My anger went back to my childhood when my parents
    divorced when I was 7. I had no idea how insecure and angry that made me, until I journaled about it and
    learned that my parents had their own TMS pain from economic problems during the 1930s.

TMS has gotten rid of my back pain but I did not return to my "normal life." I discovered so much more about
    myself and others that my life is better than normal. That's where the TMS journey takes us.

5. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Welcome to the forum and the SEP PatrickG! Good on you for making a start in applying the principles of TMS healing. It sounds like you are on the right track.

I'm not completely healed of all my TMS symptoms, but I have experienced an 80-90% improvement in my back pain since learning about TMS. All the best with the SEP! I recently completed the SEP and I highly recommend it. :)