1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by sonia, Jan 12, 2015.

1. sonia

sonia New Member

I have had back pain and other issues for about 10 years now. My life has been going downhill during these years. I read Dr. Sarno books 3 years ago but did not know about this site which I am hopeful will help this time. I am happy to say that I stopped my regular visits (2x week) to a chiropractor about a month ago and do not feel worse which is liberating. While I am a believer in TMS, over the years I acquired different pillows and seats which I use when I sit or sleep and I can not do without them. If I need to go somewhere my seat always travel with me.Is it completely counter productive to keep using my cushions? Just the thought that I will not have my seat gives me anxiety. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Sonia, Dr. Sarnos says it's okay to continue medication while working on TMS healing,
    and I consider using a pillow or seat cushion to be in the same category.
    Do whatever it takes and if they feel good to use, keep using them.

I use a cane when I feel I need one. I just call it my "walking stick," not my cane.

I call things like a pillow or seat cushion or cane "Dumbo's feather." Remember the Disney movie in which a baby elephant
    was able to fly because it believed that a feather in his cap made it possible?

But also keep working on discovering the TMS emotions that cause the pain.

3. sonia

sonia New Member

Walt, thank you so very much for your reply. It is so nice to hear from someone, it can get pretty lonely in a hurtful body.
    I will keep using my pillows for now, hopefully not forever.
    I have been postponing my journal entries but will start today. I feel like I am about to open a can of worms.
    Thank you again for your wisdom.

4. Barb M.

Barb M. Peer Supporter

Hi Sonia, I'm new here, too. My house looks like an orthopedic store with all the pillows and contraptions I have! I'm not on any narcotics, but I am "psychologically" addicted to Tylenol. I take the max amount round the clock. I don't even know if it helps, but now I'm afraid not to take it. I'm going to take it slow and compassionately let myself keep the things I think I need for now. (I posted some more of my story under Introducing Myself) It does get lonely and isolating to be in pain. Glad we both found this site.

5. sonia

sonia New Member

Hi Barb. I am not sure why but it is comforting to know that there are people out there who are in the same situations. Hope that one day we will not need these pacifiers like pillows and tylenol. My husband recently bought an inversion table which is still in the box and I want to send it back.
    I think it might frame my mind even more into being in pain. Thanks for your reply.

Barb M. likes this.