1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by COgirl05, Dec 9, 2014.

1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

What would a life without TMS mean to you?

It means that I would live a pain-free life and not have symptoms popping up all the time. I would not be preoccupied and scared of every symptom that I experience and be able to ignore them like normal people. I wouldn’t worry about if my back might hurt when I want to plan to train for races and other physical activities. I would stop the fear in my life and take control. I would enjoy life. I wouldn’t get back pain when I’m stressed out and have to constantly think about it or worry that it’s coming.

liatws22 likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't think "normal people" are stress-free. I think most people repress whatever troubles them.
    Lucky people, like you and I, learned about TMS. It healed me of severe back pain and has made
    thousands of others free of pain.

TMS practice helps stop the fear in our life and be in control of it. You will enjoy life again.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

I know everyone has stress in their life and I am so grateful that I found out about TMS. I learned about it almost a year ago and it's drastically helped my back pain. The problem is that I'll get rid of the back pain, but then I'll get dizziness or knee pain in return. I've also gotten anxiety and panic attacks a few times in the past year. In the past month, I've had two bad bouts of back pain for a couple days during stressful times. I know that I'm on the right track, but I'm not cured because the symptoms return, go elsewhere, and I'm fearful about all of them (or when they might return). I also "test" my back pain all the time by bending forward to see if it hurts. I know once I'm "cured" that I will not have symptoms anymore, I won't anticipate their return, and I won't constantly "test" my back to see if it hurts. I'm looking forward to those days!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It's best if you try not to monitor any pain, like does it hurt when you bend over.
    Dr. Sarno says don't monitor the pain and you will heal faster.

5. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

Do you just try to completely ignore the pain?

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think trying to ignore something is an oxymoron. If you're trying, you're not ignoring.

I think the approach that works is more about acceptance of the pain. Ok, I have pain, but I'm not going to let it get in my way of doing what I want to do. As you become involved in doing things you enjoy, you forget about the pain.

Zumbafan likes this.
  7. labrador

labrador New Member

Yes, I agree with Ellen, I think the more you try to ignore something the more you are thinking about it - it's like saying "don't think of a pink elephant then immediately you do". Accepting the pain has worked for me as well - so you know it's there but it's ok you are going to carry on with your life anyway and do the things you enjoy.

8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, people handle stress differently. Through TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN, you can learn how to use psychosomatic pain as a signal to shift your thinking to the the emotional/psychological and away from the physical/structural distraction defense mechanisms.