1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1....

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MissShamrocks, Oct 6, 2014.

1. MissShamrocks

MissShamrocks Peer Supporter

Hi everyone, newbie here!

I have been suffering for almost two years with a pelvic pain condition called "Pudendal Neuralgia." It has taken it's toll not only with the pain but of course mentally, emotionally and spiritually. I've had suicidal thoughts a few times of these 2 years, running from Dr to Dr, physical therapists, pain management, pills, blocks, MRI's, xrays, you name it, I've done it and I have a feeling you can ALL relate to this!

The pain started for me a few months after a very bad/traumatic breakup and I never really put two and two together because, well...we all learned pain mean't something was physically wrong. It wasn't until I listened to Dr. Sarno's "Healing back pain" and speaking to my PT about mind/body that it even dawned on me and it's hit me like a ton of bricks! I'm nervous, excited, and still maybe a little weary that it's 50% TMS and 50% structural (i.e. SI joint arthritis, and a rotated pelvis). I see my PT tomorrow and am going to discuss my findings. I know she loves Sarno, so I don't think she's going to turn her nose up at this.

I'm not quite sure if I should make an appointment with Dr. Schechter here in L.A. for confirmation, or just start on this program that is laid out here? Maybe some of you can guide me in which direction to go? He does not take my insurance, and is a bit pricey. I'd be willing to spend the money if I knew where to start.

What I do know is I fit the personality profile PERFECTLY! I have a condition that there is no traditional cure for and my body is not responding to treatment well, I actually just keep getting worse. My sympathetic nervous system is a complete wreck and wound up so badly, I can't seem to break the pain cycle no matter what I do. I'm ready and willing for a change though, and I truly hope this is it!

I look forward to hearing some of your stories!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, MissShamrocks. Welcome to the TMS healing community and to the SEP.
    I would save your money and a visit to Dr. Schechter until you have completed the SEP and given TMS a really good try.
    You know when your pain began, with that stressful break-up. You will need to journal about it, to discover ways to put that behind you.

You also will need to convince yourself that your pain is 100 percent TMS from repressed emotions and your perfectionist and "goodist"
    personality. If you believe even 1 percent that it is structural, TMS healing won't work.

You need to cheer up and be confident that you are going to heal. Try to find ways to relax and gain total belief that you are going to
    be rid of the pain. TMS can help you to become healthier and happier than you ever dreamed. It did both for me, and has for many, many
    others.

Some suggestions for becoming positive and calm:

Breathe deeply by filling your tummy breathing through the nose to the count of 4, hold the breath to the count of 7, then exhale through the mouth to the count of 8 while saying "whoosh!"

Also, smile as much as you can (it helps your mind and body to be happier), and laugh as often as you can, even if you have to fake the laughter.

You also have this TMS community behind you. Visit us daily and share your progress with us. We're all here to help each other. Bless you.

3. MissShamrocks

MissShamrocks Peer Supporter

Hi Walt,

Thank you for your response and great advise! I have spoken with Dr. Shubiner and Alan and think I have a plan of action. Looking forward to the journey!