1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Roubo2013, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Roubo2013

Roubo2013 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I am just getting started with working on this TMS recovery program. I have experienced pain in my lower back since I was in high school (I am now 32) and has steadily gotten worse to the point that I am almost currently crippled. I now have pain in my upper back as well that spreads down into my hands, including numbness and terrible, shocking nerve pain. My lower back pain travels all the way down to my feet and is so bad that I can hardly walk at times. I also suffer from migraines periodically. In addition to all of this, I have obsessive-compulsive disorder which is currently very under control, although I believe that some of the personality tendencies that lead to my development of OCD (perfectionistic, very self-critical nature) have lead to the development of TMS. I can see completely logically that my pain is a distraction from the stresses that I have in my life but I know I have some lingering doubts that are preventing me from being able to wholeheartedly accept the diagnosis. OCD is a disease that can be described as an acute problem in dealing with uncertainty and since it is almost impossible to gain complete certainty in anything, I think my OCD has lead me to not be able to completely accept my pain as caused by emotions. It feels so real. I can feel my nerves sending pain into my hands. It feels like the bones in my back are pinching things and grinding against each other. I can feel tendons grinding, so this acceptance has been a real challenge.

I love had work (I work with my body every day and just push though the pain) and feel like I don't even know what my life would look like if I could not do physical work. I think I might just want it to be over. I also worry about the terrible emotional things that might be unearthed if I embark on really focusing on my emotions--Do I secretly hate my family? Do I not love my wife and two little kids? Will going through therapy cause me to leave them? Was I abused as a child and I just cannot remember it? I am truly terrified of the ramifications of the pain, and of confronting what my pain might be disguising.

If anyone has suggestions as I begin, particularly with regard to acceptance of TMS and of my fears for the future, I would be deeply appreciative.

2. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Welcome Roubo2013!! I'm so happy you have found yourself on this forum. I can promise you great and wonderful changes will occur as you work your way through SEP. I am sorry that you have had and still have so much pain. I can sympathize as well as everyone else on this forum! My only suggestion would be to try and just stay in the day. Rest your fears for the future because its just a territory for troublemaking and stress. Dealing with today, your thoughts and feelings, especially when you are in pain IS ENOUGH. Sometimes I just have to work in the moment, or by the hour to keep my acceptance current. You will learn how to also send loving messages to your nerves, the same way you can feel your nerves sending pain. We get to start taking control of our mind. So keep reading the books, this forum, do the homework and I am pretty sure that you will start feeling relief.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Nowtimecoach, you are wonderfully supportive and encouraging. If Roubo2013 will follow your advice he/she will heal.
    Hope you both have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

4. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi Walt, I miss talking with you. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving
    and also Annie with few extra treats! My dogs love turkey which I do make quite
    often for them. I use to feed them all raw food but cannot any longer due to financial
    reasons. I hope you'll have company on this blessed day, if not enjoy your day with
    "Annie"!! know that I will be thinking of you, Nancy.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Nancy. I called you this morning but no answer so I left a message.
    I can never seem to reach you by phone.
    I'd like to ask your email address.

I'm reluctant about posting my phone or email address on the forum,
    and you may be, too.

I have gotten a few TMS Wiki members' email addresses in posts,
    and I do have a your cell number so I will try that again.

Meanwhile, I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm having family and friends here for turkey tomorrow.