1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Dre003, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Dre003

Dre003 Newcomer

Hello! I have been suffering from migraines and upper back pain for the past 8 years. I also have on and off pelvic/bladder pain and was diagnosed with IC.

I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars trying to find a cure for my migraines and neck/back pain. I am confident to say that if there is a device out there that helps neck pain then I most likely have bought it. I am (or was...) convinced that there is something wrong with my neck/upper back that is causing these horribe horrible horrible migraines. I stumbled upon John Sarno online and read one of his books. It sort of clicked that this could be me. Deep down I always thought it was a possibility since the doctors could never find anything major wrong. I have had a brain MRI and so many ultrasounds on my bladder and some procedures done on my bladder. Nothing major seems wrong except for being diagnosed for having a smaller than average bladder and being told it is 'tense'. After reading the book my symptoms got way way worse and I am now in a major IC flare.

I have noticed my migraine/neck/back symptoms change sides and also come and go if I am busy...so I am thinking TMS could definitely be it!

I seem to fixate on how to fix my migraines and bladder pain...I can see how this is a fear cycle. Of course it is hard to 100% believe this on day 1 that it is TMS since the bladder flare up is so bad right now BUT this is a good start and why not give this a try since I have literally tried everything else :)

I am excited to start this journey!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome @Dre003. This is an excellent start, and the fact that your most worrisome symptom flared as soon as you found this information and made a commitment to act on it is great news, because it's proof of the TMS mechanism at work in your brain!

100% belief is not required in order to start doing the work - that will come in time, and the key is not to worry about your belief, but rather to pay attention to how and when your brain tries to keep you stuck in doubt.

I can't tell you that things are only going to get better from now on, because they could get worse as your poor fearful brain tries desperately to keep you stuck in fear. You have to be willing to stick with the learning, and to calm down your poor brain, and to treat it - and yourself - with the love and compassion you deserve.

Keep us posted!

Dre003 likes this.
  3. Dre003

Dre003 Newcomer

Thank you for such a nice warm welcome! The pain has definitely been worse as I apply what I am learning. Thank you for the kind words, I will keep all of that in mind as I begin this new journey!

JanAtheCPA likes this.