1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Teatimetraveller, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Teatimetraveller

Teatimetraveller New Member

Hi everyone. I'm totally new to the concept of TMS but was recently recommended one of Dr Sarno's books and it makes so much sense in many ways. Having been 'medicalised' a few times I'm struggling a bit to get out of the structural cause of my pain but I have experienced first hand that stress factors and fear can almost instantly intensify my pain. It feels like I'm at a cross roads and I need to decide my route. From a personality/ lifestyle perspective I definitely fit the model and I'm totally up for exploring my emotional world. Quite nervous about possible increases in pain levels if I have to remove meds any time soon as the initial onset was so awful. But then I realise such fear and anxiety could increase pain as well. Its all a bit mind bending tbh but I'm up for the journey.

lovetolearn likes this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hello and welcome. Part of the TMS treatment is that you can make your own timeline. If you are afraid about stopping medication, you can take your time before looking into that. And if and when you do, you can always wean off slowly.

You are absolutely correct here. A big part of the program is helping you get to the point where you do not really care about your symptoms anymore. Once you worry less about them, they start to go away, and you may have more confidence to stop taking medications that you no longer think you need. Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have concerns along the way!