1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Marie1024, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Marie1024

Marie1024 Newcomer

I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and Epstein-Barr Virus. My symptoms have been off and on for several years, but came on strong about 5 months ago. I have extreme fatigue and body aches all over. My joints hurt off and on (shoulders, elbows, knees, ankles, toes, wrists, thumbs) and I have off and on back pain. The all over body pain and fatigue are constant. I also have a lot of brain fog - I haven't heard that mentioned for TMS. ? I spent 90% of my time in bed, sleeping a lot, for about 10 weeks. Now, I have some days where I can function, but not to my normal capacity. I stopped working (I have my own business), stopped hiking and working out, stopped socializing (even before Covid), and am mostly just super tired and achy all the time. I don't feel like myself and it's super frustrating.

I totally believe that it's possible that I have TMS and I have an open mind to this program and it working for me. I think I fit the personality type for TMS...mostly being a "goodist" and wanting to please everyone and I have a hard time accessing any negative emotions.

I'm hopeful and excited to give this 30 day program a go!

2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hi Marie...sorry about your suffering. I know how hard such symptoms can be to endure. A few thoughts:

Brain fog by itself may not often be listed as a TMS symptom, but it is common in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (what I had) among other conditions that are considered TMS. I think it is just a byproduct of feeling exhausted and run down. At my worst, sometimes I could barely string a sentence together during casual conversation.

I think this is a big issue for a lot of people here. I discovered that I was completely blocking out a lot of negative emotions at my wife and daughter before and during my illness. It's scary to access those, but necessary for healing. Don't worry if you struggle somewhat in this area as it is a difficult task, but the program will certainly help you.

You mentioned having Epstein-Barr Virus. Do you have an active or chronic infection? In my case, I got mono (from EBV). As I recall, some of the EBV markers remained even after my labs showed my active mono infection subsided, but that is fairly normal as I recall (I could be mixing something up here, my brain didn't work well back then). I do know my blood work showed the active mono infection disappeared after a month or two, but I never felt better and developed long-term symptoms that best fit under the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome label. Long story short, my experience with EBV and mono is that it should not last more than a month or two. Usually after that, any remaining symptoms are TMS.

My symptoms were very similar to what you described, and I know there are people on the Wiki who are healed or greatly improved from Fibromyalgia symptoms. At my sickest, I had lost a ton of weight, mostly quit working, stopped all exercise, and could barely make it through the day. Now, I'm healthier than ever. So, I believe this program really can work for you. Good luck!