1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Week 0 Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by toddbrazier, Mar 30, 2019.

1. toddbrazier

toddbrazier Newcomer

So, I know that Sarno is right. I know that the program works. About 12 years ago I found the Divided Mind when I was looking for books on anxiety because I was going off to college and freaking out. I had been having bowel issues, out of nowhere, for a few months. Everything was fine then all of the sudden I was shitting blood literally every time I went to the restroom (TMI...oh, well). I panicked and thought my life was ruined. I found the Sarno book and it literally changed my life. This pain and disorder that was becoming part of my life was losing its power and I realized the power of the mind because of this. I would have shit pop up here and there always the last decade. It never sticks but I have everything from shoulder issues, to lower back, knee, jaw pain thingy...all kinds of bullshit. Well, now I have created massive heartburn, slow digestion, gerd, overall digestive sensitivity. Everything I eat causes some bullshit. I think about it all the time. It makes me totally unhappy. It scares me because I can't eat without feeling shitty. I'm a business owner, I have two little kids, I've been married for 17 years almost. I struggle with paying for all this. We are a family business and we are always around each other. I was an only child and now I am constantly around people, which is a trip. And, I am pretty athletic and pretty much hold myself to a standard of intellectual and physical perfection. I also try to take care of everyone. But, I am here and committed to finishing the program. I've made myself very miserable and its getting old. I am ready to move beyond the fear and the misery.

hecate105 likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Todd, and welcome to the forum and the SEP!

You are far from alone when it comes to gut stuff. After, all, what is IBS if it isn't TMS? And IBS appears to be epidemic these days.

I am also someone who tends to develop an "antagonistic" relationship with my digestive system from time to time. When I started doing this work in 2011, I was losing weight rapidly (not in a good way) and eliminating all kinds of foods from my diet in desperation. That completely turned around after I found Dr. Sarno and this forum and did the SEP that fall. Varying gut issues can crop up when I am stressed and/or not mindful of my emotions, and I kind of marvel at how easily my brain goes to "what food caused this? What food will solve this?" which when I look at it logically, makes no sense. I'm convinced that for most of us, special diets and restrictions are placebos - how long they last or how well they work can be quite variable, but in the end, that's all they are.

Keep posting and keep us posted!

~Jan

hecate105 likes this.
  3. toddbrazier

toddbrazier Newcomer

Thank you Jan. I will post the whole time. This is a rest of life commitment for me. Not just when I'm creating hiatal hernia fear, gerd, choking paranoia. But, also when things are good and not taking good for granted and realizing we're all works in progress. I appreciate your comment.

JanAtheCPA likes this.