1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by runfromit, Jan 4, 2019.

1. runfromit

runfromit Newcomer

I found Dr. Sarno's book a week ago and couldn't put it down. I am an avid runner and have had every kind of 'itis injury for years in my 20s; one bout of PF so bad that I had to quit running for nearly 10 years altogether. Now I'm back running again and there they all are again, the 'itises are all back. None of these injuries have ever been successfully treated by any kind of doctor, physio, chiropractor, treatment, injection, etc. I am a classic perfectionist by Dr. Sarno's description and I'm very hard on myself. Nothing is ever good enough until I achieve the top level of school, sports, music, whatever it was I had to be the best. Looking back, these injuries always time themselves nicely with some kind of event in my life - divorce, new job, moving, big race, family troubles, etc. This is a huge turning point for me as I found that I have finally found an answer and I am learning a lot about myself in the process. I just wish I found it 20 years ago.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi runfromit,

Welcome to the Forum, and the SEP. I too suffered from "PF" and many physicians recommended surgery. Marc Sopher studied with Dr. Sarno and contributed the last chapter in Dr. Sarno's the Divided Mind, and he specializes in "running pain." I am so glad you found this work. It is the real deal. You're putting all the pieces together personally, and this is very important.

Andy B

3. runfromit

runfromit Newcomer

Thanks very much for your reply, Andy. I read Dr. Sarno's book: The Mindbody Prescription, now I'm on to the Divided Mind. I'm looking forward to reading the running pain section. Right now it's hard work to completely accept the diagnosis which is key. That will be the hard work for now.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. This is a process and nobody can do it perfectly. Pain creates fear, and rational thinking often shrinks in the face of pain and fear. You'll get better and better at it over time, based on your direct experiences!