1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Isa, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Isa

Isa Newcomer

Hello,

I am starting the SEP programme today. I first heard about TMS about six months ago and read Sarno's "The MindBody Prescription." It made a lot of sense. Then, life got in the way. I'm back, however and would like to focus on this recovery programme for the next six weeks. My main issue is chronic daily headache which can evolve into neck and shoulder pain too. One of the reasons that TMS seems like such a good fit is that I had almost identical issues around seven years ago after a very stressful point in my life. They lasted for around a year, it was a horrible low and I thought I'd never get better until the pain gradually lifted when my life circumstances changed. I've spent the last six years (mostly) pain free, but it all came crashing down in March this year.

I am not at all new to the idea of repressed emotions. I am in my last year of training as a psychotherapist and am in three times weekly psychoanalysis, so I am doing a lot of work on unconscious emotions and my childhood already. In my case I think it may be the case that the pain crashed down again as my resistance was gradually eroding. It's very complicated, as the analysis of course feels like it should be ultimately healing, but I'm also well aware that it can be very dark before it gets better... and I am starting to see glimmers of hope again.

Anyway, thanks for reading and it's good to be here.

plum likes this.
  2. Aziz

Aziz Peer Supporter

Hey Isa!

Wow, 3 days a week analysis. That's intense.

I have been doing weekly therapy for the last 4-5 months or so, specifically to address childhood issues. That has definitely stirred up a lot, and I know what you mean about it getting it darker before it gets better. I feel like I'm in that phase now. Uncover and exploring (and ultimately healing) old wounds is not for the faint of heart!

What's so funny about TMS is how once and area is "conquered" it's hard for TMS to take hold there again. For me, neck and upper back pain is an immediate "Oh that's TMS" in my head, and I don't react much to the pain and it goes away in a day or two.

BUT, if the pain is in my low back, buttock, or down my leg. Now THAT is serious! That is something I need to freak out about, resist, feel fear, anger and self-pity about : )

Here's to doing the deep work and, ultimately, to liberation!

With love,
    Aziz

plum likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello Isa,

I love the warmth and depth of your first post. I shall doubtless enjoy your contributions here and naturally I trust that they shall be a part of your healing. May the darkness soon pass, may the dawn shine brightly, may your healing be sure.

Welcome to the forum.

Plum