1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Joerock417, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Joerock417

Joerock417 Newcomer

I am a new member who has experienced low back pain for much of my life.
    25 years ago I was diagnosed with a herniated disc and got surgery. But even then I knew it was my mind that was causing these symptoms. I was making the decision to come out of the closet. Thus was causing me severe stress which manifested as pain in my back. Facing the issue I was able to lessen my pain. Presently I have other issues. Now I will learn through dr. Sarano to retrain my brain. I am looking forward to a pain free life.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Joerock. Welcome to this web site and TMS community. You will find people here who share their stories and ways of healing from pain caused by our emotions.

You don't say if you did come out of the closet, or if you have not and this is causing you pain (guilt?) You say you have come out to yourself... that's the most important. You may have to be selective in who else you tell.

By journaling in the SEProgram, you will discover what other emotions you may have that cause your pain, or the sexual preference issue may be the main one. Keep positive and follow the daily steps in the program and you will win this battle.

By the way, you would probably be surprised how many men you know are closeted gays and women who are closeted lesbians.
    Shakespeare put it best when he wrote: "To thine own self be true."

3. ringette18

ringette18 Newcomer

Hey Joerock,

Good for you for coming out of the closet; I hope that in doing so you will eventually be free from the pain and other aspects of life that may have been holding you back. It was a very liberating moment for me in my life. I am also so happy that you have been able to find out about Dr Sarno and how you can rid yourself of TMS symptoms. There have certainly been hiccups for me, but it is possible to live without pain again. Good luck on your journey.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Joerock, and Welcome!

This understanding below is a huge support for you. I wish you the best in this work.

Andy B

5. Omerhomer

Omerhomer Newcomer

Ok - I'm going to give this a try. I've had eye coordination problems, neck and shoulder pain and upset stomach issues, in differing amounts for several years. Over this same time period, my wife has gone through treatment for lung cancer, been declared cancer free, and had a recurrence in her brain and spinal fluid which is incurable. She's in a clinical trail which is extending her life, but it's just that - an extension, of indeterminate length. Obviously, she is stressed and sick and in pain. But so am I - I am the caregiver, I have to "do it all" - the cooking, cleaning, laundry. I've gone to multiple doctors about my symptoms and nothing has helped. I'm ready to admit that these symptoms are being caused by my brain's attempt to distract me. I'm going to follow the daily program and get rid of the pain! I can't get rid of the stress and anger, but I hope admitting it and moving on will help. Thanks for providing a forum where I can let this out.

6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Omerhomer, and Welcome!

Yes, this is the key to me, to see how your mind-body is actually creating the pain, rather than anything physical. And in my experience, if you don't worry/believe you have to "reduce stress" this is actually a relief and helpful. Just see your life conditions, connect to how it probably effects your feelings inside, and connect with Dr. Sarno's understanding, in a personal way in your life.

Good luck with the program. It has helped many many people.

After this it is helpful to get a response if you start your own post for each check-in that you do. You go to the Structured Education Forum, or any of the Forum subtype you want to post in, and the upper right hand is a button which says Post New Thread in this SubForum. Then you give it a title and you're on your way.

Andy B

7. Joerock417

Joerock417 Newcomer

Hi Walt. Thank you for your reply. I have been out of the closet to everyone in my life since 1992, when I first experienced TMS, though I didn't know what it was back then. Since that time, I don't believe my sexuality is the cause of TMS because my low back pain went away for quite some time after coming out. Now the more recent back pains seem to be caused from the new stress and emotional points of daily life. My brother was the one who informed me of TMS and this is why I am now on the journey with you all. It is a blessing to finally put a name to this condition and now to tackle the root causes of my pain. Thank you for your support.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Joerock417. I'm glad your back pain went away after you accepted your sexuality. New pain can come on at any time for other emotional reasons. Just apply TMS principles to your life now and I am confident that journaling in the SEProgram will drive away the new symptoms. I really is a blessing to have discovered TMS and how to accept the MindBody connection. I have healed from severe back pain thanks to discovering I had been repressing anger and other emotions since my parents divorced when I was seven. In journaling, I came to understand them better and to forgive them.

Hi, too, Omerhomer. I'm so sorry your wife's cancer has returned. Being her caretaker and doing all the chores is bound to be stressful on you and cause you pain. I've read that many cancer patients have combined traditional cancer treatment (chemo, etc.) with medical marijuana. There articles and videos about it on the Internet. Others say they were cured just with medical marijuana. They also ask for healing help from whoever they pray to.