1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Alibumbayay, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Alibumbayay

Alibumbayay New Member

I am starting this program after a lifetime of back pain, back problems, and more doctors than you could imagine. As a little girl I was always teased about my sway back and worked hard to "stand up straight," although I believe I was probably harming myself trying to contort my back into an unnatural line. I was an athlete--softball, cross-country, cycling, and tennis, especially--and loved playing, but I was often in pain: my knees, hips, back and neck could "go out" at any time. I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 9, and went to the Dupont Institute every six months until I was 16. They wanted me to wear a brace but I cried and refused. Regarding sports, many sports medicine doctors at top clinics said my back and hips were uneven and told me to stop all sports activities, especially running and "anything that bends the knee"--for life! By the time I was 20 years old I gave up and gave in. I spent my 20s and much of my 30s avoiding everything but light bicycling, walking and hiking, and lived on ibuprofen and any pain killer I could find. At 22 a hit-and-run rear-end car accident gave me 5 days of immobilizing whiplash and 15 years of agony. I found a good physical therapist at 36 and that helped a LOT.

Fast forward 10 years to last June, when my company downsized and I was unexpectedly laid off from my fashion dream job that I loved and lived for and literally spent my life working toward. This role brought me so much happiness and satisfaction, but the company downsized and out the door I went. As I packed up my beautiful office, I picked up a box of books and felt a twinge in my back and 3 days later experienced sciatica for the first time. Now it is 6 1/2 months later, I am doing part-time work that is completely degrading and beneath my skill set, and I can barely move without painkillers. I do all my work lying on my stomach (at home) propped up on my elbows and dread in-office meetings. My doctors want me to get back surgery but I have never read about successful back surgery, so I'm drawing the line. I really hope Dr. Sarno's book and this forum are the cure. After a lifetime of pain and limited mobility, what do I have to lose? I look forward to learning from everyone and reading their advice.

JanAtheCPA and Velvet_Hidden like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Alibumbayay. Welcome to this community of very caring and helpful people who like me healed (severe back pain) after reading Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain. Try to avoid surgery... others have found that it didn't stop their pain. Losing the job you loved may very well have caused you to start feeling pains. The part-time work will help you to be positive about recovering. The SEProgram will lead you to discover the emotions causing your pains, and then they will be gone. You've started the new year great. Keep doing the program and let us know how you're doing.

3. Alibumbayay

Alibumbayay New Member

Thank you for the encouragement. I intend to stick to the SEProgram and beat this!

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

5. Alibumbayay

Alibumbayay New Member

This is so inspiring and thank you for sharing! I used to skate ski and I am determined to visit the mountains again this winter. My goal is to heal before February so I can get out there and ENJOY LIFE.