1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Nathanmartin, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Nathanmartin

Nathanmartin Newcomer

I am skeptical about some things...
    "Black box" activator - the notion that there is an independent decider in our minds is problematic. if there is a metaphorical little person in a box pulling levers, is there also someone in a black box in his mind doing so, and so on? the theory of mind does need some adjustment.
    The principal does seem to work as placebo. i am not deriding placebo, but just describing mechanisms. this whole things seems about altering beliefs and building confidence in them AS the treatment. using the power of belief is placebo by my definition. that we all have to believe the same way and in the same thing seems off to me. its been one of my chief issues with analytic theories... not that we experience mindbody issues with unconcious emotion as origin, but the indoctrination into psychoanaltytic treatment and worldview for treatment to maybe be considered helpful.

Besides that, i am at the end of my rope. i started experiencing odd neckpain, sensations, feeling like a change in handedness in highschool, and had stomach issues before then. After deciding to go on leave from grad school a few years ago after uprooting my life/career to go, i got depressed. i sought medication, but ended up in a psychodynamic therapy without realizing it that i did not agree to and was not ready to engage with. i ended up leaving therapy in a much worse state, my older physical symptoms, which had largely subsided, were back in full force and it was scary.

Fast forward to now (5 years later), i am unemployed, still dealing with the effects of an undesired treatment, and my tms symptoms have become much mire enchrenched in my life. i am willing to forego some skepticism, as everything else ive done has been unhelpful

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Nathan. I didn't know about the Black Box so I did some Internet reading. Are you placing a lot of emphasis on it in your healing? I would be careful of that and instead of it, spend more time believing in TMS causing your symptoms. If possible, try to find new work. Keeping busy is very important.

3. Nathanmartin

Nathanmartin Newcomer

It is talked about in mindbody prescription.