1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by nika13, Oct 10, 2016.

1. nika13

nika13 Newcomer

This is Day 1 of the SEP for me but I finished Dr. Sarno's book, "Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection" last night. I am convinced in the diagnosis seeing that I am already interested in yoga, meditation and mind-body practices, but I feel like I'm fighting my subconscious as I let all of this go. It hasn't been totally easy. About 10 days ago, my acupuncturist recommended I read Dr. Sarno's book. My symptoms of sciatica and back pain and toe numbness went away immediately the next day, and I was overjoyed to be cured. It seemed almost too easy. Then, the following week I had a coffee late one afternoon after work (which I rarely do) and could barely sleep, knowing I had to get up at 6 for my new job the next day. My heart was pounding, I was worked up and anxious and angry and only slept 2-3 hours. I woke up the next morning with horrible back pain, worse than ever, present again in my body, and this past week has been hard for me in terms of sleep and restlessness. All things lead to other things... I have a history of perfectionism and OCD-induced anxiety ever since childhood which has never been fully resolved, especially at night, and even while I was reading Sarno's book could not sleep very well last week because of the pressure put on myself. The anger of doing something to myself, like the back pain and the lack of sleep. Now I have continued reading the and feel much improved again, with occasional pains coming up, but I am talking to my brain and to the pains and letting them know I am in control. I particularly liked the point in the book about how we should not blame ourselves, it is not our fault that we are doing this and we don't even know we are doing it to ourselves, it's just a habitual pattern we have become accustomed to due to upbringing and environment. I had a few better nights at the end of last week yet I could not sleep very well again last night, my mind tending to fear lack of sleep and the anger and anxiety that come up when it happens. I tried to relax and finish reading Dr. Sarno's book instead of toss and turn at night, which helped me and I fell asleep quicker than I have in past days. While the back pain originally came after a car ride and stepping out of the car made me feel that my back had been "thrown out", the strange numbness and tingling and throbbing felt more neurological and not normal for just being a pulled muscle. Thinking more about things, I have always had a pretty open schedule and been pretty flexible in my work, working part-time and since this is my first full-time job where I am supporting myself and away from my family, perhaps I am feeling angered and unsupported and upset and anxious. I don't feel I'm getting enough help, and even living with my boyfriend causes some anger as I wish he gave me more attention. Anyway, to make a long story short this book and program are already helping me so much, and I am finding that it's helping me let go of years and years of OCD and anxiety which I have fed into and repressed. It takes hard work but I am excited to get better and better and heal.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Nika. You're doing all the right things to heal. You have begun a new life away from your family, and I hope that living with the boyfriend helps. It may not be perfect or permanent, but enjoy it as it is. The SEProgram will help you to discover repressed emotions and suggest how to deal with them. Also, congratulations on the fulltime job. That's a major change and it too may not e perfect, but try to be patient and positive in it. Try to find ways to enjoy yourself and be cheerful. Your attitude is very positive.
    That helps a lot in healing.

Some good sleep habits are these:
    Don't watch TV or be on the computer at least two hours before bedtime. Instead, listen to calming music, read a book. Meditate. Practice deep breathing.

Being on the computer or iPhone or other hand-held electric device too much also will make it harder to go to sleep. TV channel surfing is another.It sends too many image stimuli to our brains. I've read that we're living in the most "plugged in" generation in history, and that it is causing a lot of the symptoms you say you have.

Try to limit the time you are on TV. News and many shows can be very stressful and interfere with sleep.

3. nika13

nika13 Newcomer

Thanks, Walt. I appreciate your response. I agree that we spend so much time on screens nowadays and I will take your advice about shutting them off a few hours before bed. I don't really watch TV but my boyfriend does and in fact last night he was watching the news which probably wasn't great for my subconscious. It's a simple reminder and I will make sure to talk to him about it. These things really matter, thank you again:).