1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by miorno, Aug 29, 2016.

1. miorno

miorno New Member

I am 31 years old and have been suffering from chronic back, hip and neck pain since I gave birth to my son 3 years ago. Looking back though, I think I have suffered from TMS symptoms since I was a little girl. I have literally spent thousands of dollars on trying to heal myself----osteopaths, chiropractors, massage,exercise, acupuncture and most recently Advanced biostructural correction.
    Funny thing is, when I went to my doctor for x-rays I was told all they found was mild disc degeneration in my low back which was a normal part of the aging process. She gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory but I refused to take it. This chronic pain and fear has taken over my life, I have been told by therapists that I should not even consider having another child because this problem was a result of carrying my son for 9 months and enduring a 48 hour labour while lying on my back. I have also been told to no longer participate in sports or strenuous exercise for I will make things much worse. These comments have scarred me and instilled so much fear that I am afraid everyday of having an acute spasm in my low back or neck.
    Last month I came across an article online that a man wrote regarding Dr. Sarno's book Healing Back Pain. The book cured him from decades of back pain. I immediately ordered the book and I read it in 2 days. I am so grateful that I have the hope of curing myself permanently. I feel like this book is written PERSONALLY FOR ME! Reading it brought me to tears.
    I immediately stopped my physical therapy treatments which is a big hurdle for me because for the past 3 years I have not gone more than 1 or 2 weeks without treatment. I have managed for the past 7 weeks without physical therapy and have been doing great---until a few days ago...the pain returned with a vengeance, and all the fear and anxiety came with it. I realize I MUST STICK to this program and keep telling myself that I have TMS. I feel like I am convinced but the inner bully in my brain tries to scare me and occasionally have me doubting it all.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, miorno. I'm glad you are working in the SEProgram and finding some relief from your symptoms. Most of us see ourselves in Dr. Sarno's books.
    Keep believing in TMS causing your pains. Physical therapists or others should not say not to exercise or take part in sports. One of the great believers in TMS, Steve Ozanich, tells in his book The Great Pain Deception, how he played golf despite the pain and it finally healed him, together with discovering repressed emotions. The TMS MindBody approach to healing is one of the best things I ever learned.

3. miorno

miorno New Member

Thank you Walt for your encouragement. It's a challenging task to unlearn all the things doctors and therapists have taught me about my back. I appreciate your response