1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by allinthemind, Jan 13, 2016.

1. allinthemind

allinthemind Peer Supporter

So TMS, pretty sure I have it and willing to 100% believe and get stuck into getting rid of it. However I would still like a diagnosis so will be seeing a therapist at some point to get one, heard George Oldfield may be the closest for me.

The past year been researching and taking alexander technique lessons. I found it very beneficial but it seemed to lose its value after 6 months (as if the novelty wore off) really hoping this doesn't happen with my TMS recovery.
    Still using some of the things I learnt thru lessons to help release tension but obviously this isn't getting to the cause of it.

KevinB likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi allinthemind,
    Welcome to the SEP! With TMS work, with Dr. Sarno's approach, folks can have relapses, and new symptoms can arise over time, but the technique itself can be applied and work for challenges in the future. That is, once you have treated yourself with Dr. Sarno's work, you may get caught again, but you will know your way out, or at least a good deal of the "map." There is always more to learn, but you have the understanding already under your belt. I don't know the Alexander technique, but if it helps treat tension, this may help. Otherwise, I'd dive headlong into the SEP as you are doing. Good luck!
    Andy B.

KevinB likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, allinthemind. I strongly believe that journaling is the best way to discover the repressed emotions or personality traits that cause TMS pain.
    The SRProgram will help you with that. Don'y have any doubts that TMS works and will heal you. It's fine to see a TMS therapist like Oldfield, but 100 percent belief in TMS is what it takes to heal. Good luck with that. Andy's reply is one that I echo.

I'm sorry neither of us won the Superball lottery. Maybe next time. It would have helped if I bought a ticket, but I have too much respect for a dollar to risk losing it.

4. allinthemind

allinthemind Peer Supporter

I've still been clicking my neck a lot due to instant relief, is this a bad thing to do as it is kind of reinforcing and accepting the pain problem instead of the emotional one.

Also I am a teacher and had a parents evening tonight. My neck seems to tighten when I speak to parents I can feel it as I am talking, I need to use the Alexander technique to ease it as I am talking(which is hard), does this sound 'TMS'e to u guys as it sounds like I am habitually tightening in certain situations which I'm not sure is TMS based.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Habitually tightening in certain situations sounds like TMS-type activity to me. You see the correlation between the outer situation, your inner responses, and the body reaction ==TMS...
    Andy B.

allinthemind likes this.