1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jwiles, Dec 23, 2015.

1. jwiles

jwiles Peer Supporter

What would a life without TMS mean to you? Well this is my third round with the SEP and I never finished the first two times. I got maybe almost half way through then stopped. To be honest both times I did improve greatly and just figured I didn't need to finish. I'm starting to see I was scratching the surface but not getting in deep enough to make permanent change. I stopped the second time close to half way through and was starting to deal with some mental issues at the time. My physical pain was quickly replaced with terrifying panic attacks and fear, sickness, depression ana lot of other psychological issues. My pain started in July of 2013 in my hands and it went away in August of 2015. After working through some of my anxiety the pain returned in the beginning of November and it's still here. I don't want to get into every detail right now but i will as time passes. So to officially answer the question. The first two times I answered I basically just said it would be great and it would give me my life back. I would be Able to do all the things I loved. This is true but I feel like there is a deeper answer now. It's not just about getting back to old activities. It's also about reconciling past and present issues. It's about understanding and accepting myself for who I am on a deeper level.

KevinB likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi jwiles,
    Welcome back to the SEP. I think this is a wonderful statement. I hope you might hold your renewed work with SEP/Sarno as a gentle deepening process. Neither a way to make all symptoms stop, nor driven by a compulsion to "root out all issues." My hope is that it can be a gentle process, with confidence that you will know more as the time is right. Your statement reflects this. Good luck.
    Andy B.

KevinB likes this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Welcome back my man! I'm doing my 2nd round of SEP after my back pain returned.... but I was entirely free of it for 4 months, so I know it is possible to overcome, I've just been learning that I didn't address many deeper "issues" the first time around. I've really been trying to view this as a gift, what a better aspect of life to focus on than cultivating self love and acceptance???? How much time and effort does our society advocated we dedicate to such an important endeavor? Zero, really. So for me, trying to remember that this is a positive undertaking, and also that it's not terminal; that is, it doesn't appear to be something that one does "correctly", figures it out, then is POOF all good from that moment on. I get the impression that it's a life-long process (hopefully not the pain part, but the gettin in touch with yourself part). Think about buddhist monks, it's not like they one day meditate correctly and POOF, they're good and no longer need to mediate, right? It's a daily thing. So for me, recognizing this as an ongoing journey has been difficult, but I feel I'm getting closer to accepting it. And again, what a better thing to focus on in life???

Merry Xmas! Kevin

Laughalot likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Kevin. That's how I look at TMS, as an on-going process besides healing pain. I've learned so much about myself through the SEP and like myself a lot better, and like others better, too. TMS and self-acceptance ought to be taught in school, early!

Merry Ho! Ho!