1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by tgirl, Nov 16, 2015.

1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Hi. I watched the day 1 video and found it hopeful. My brain, unfortunately, goes to 'that isn't the type of pain I have' everyone seems to have back pain or structural pain . My pain is a prickly sensation on the nerve endings of my legs (not feet). I have been tested extensively and all tests come back normal. Do you think because my symptoms are different than of those on the video that I could still have TMS?

2. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

Something I have learned is that the tms brain attacks the nervous system. The symptom you describe is a true neurological symptom. It's important to get anything 'real' diagnosed or even better not diagnosed as that will help you believe.

A great starting point for me was to sit down and write down all the contradictions I have noticed about my pain or symptom. It took me a week to realize that I get numbness in my toes when I feel anxious. I never connected that before reading my body. This us what I ask myself: What am I feeling when I feel those symptoms? A key motivator for anxiety is fear. That totally makes sense to me now.

I hope you find this helpful in any way.

Crissy

3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi TGirl, I think that since you've ruled out any serious problems you can rest assured it's TMS. The mind is extremely powerful and TMS can manifest in many shapes and forms to keep you in doubt.

The biggest obstacles we suffer in over coming TMS are fear, acceptance and belief. Sometimes despite seeing a Dr, we need the assurance of a TMS physician to move forward.

That said, from your post I have noticed that you are still quite consumed with fear, worry with regards to your symptoms and would benefit from creating an evidence sheet. This will allow you track your symptoms and ennforce your belief in TMS.

As Crissy states, once you've developed TMS these neuro pathways become learned and can weaken the immune system., if you feel as if you are constantly under threat. The only way to heal is through reflection, acceptance and change.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thank you both for your replies.

Crissy, you mentioned getting tested to make sure i have nothing real. As I mentioned, I have done that. I asked one neurologist if there was any other tests he could do. His answer was' we have just about run out'. But, when people ask me if I have had things ruled out I get worried all over again. I think maybe the doctors missed something, but I do feel at some point I (everyone) have to stop the doctor merry-go-round. I am trying to do that.

Mike you are probably right that I am still worried about my symptoms and that reflects non-acceptance.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

tirl, I doubt that the doctors or tests "missed anything." You may just be hoping a pill will make your symptoms go away. Healing with TMS knowledge is much better than a pill and it brings permanent relief. Be patient and it will come to you.

mike2014 likes this.
  6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

tgirl,
    Remember that the symptoms will always manifest in ways that "raise doubt" "cause fear" etc. This is normal. I hope the other responses here are re-assuring to you. When I started doing Dr. Sarno's work, I had to really find symptoms that were exactly like mine in the Sarno world, so that I could use the TMS method. In a way this is natural. In a way though, it is like my endless search (before Sarno) to find the right diagnosis and treatment. If you can see your doubt, and need for re-assurance as a sort of TMS equivalent symptom, this is helpful. It is a distraction. I suggest "ignore, and proceed" as best you can. It becomes easier with practice!
    Andy B.

7. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Andy and Walt, thank you for your responses. They truly make sense. I am going to do the SEP program beginning today!