1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1, where I am and where I came from.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by PainPatient, Jan 29, 2017.

1. PainPatient

PainPatient Newcomer

It has been a long pain journey for me. My pain has lasted about 10 years. It started with an anxious week in college where I was studying for finals and didn't sleep well for a few days. I was too nervous. I was up all night and very scared about my upcoming exams and my future. I started having really bad stomach aches and then pain in my butt and thighs while I was sitting. It made it really had to sit for long hours. I have had a range of diagnoses and my pain has travelled and increased in intensity ever since. I now have pain in my back , heels, and sometimes my lower neck. I have had numerous treatments, injections, and semi-surgery to no avail. Thank god no doctor has found any problems with my discs.

It still is hard for me to believe that all this pain came from TMS, but I had a very strange sensation when I was listening to an audio copy of Healing Back Pain from Dr. Sarno. It was like this heavy weight was lifted off of me. The patient stories and the book resonated with me. I am getting much more convinced that this pain is from TMS and I really want to believe that this will work for me. My pain seems to intractible. My muscles and sensations have been the stuck and rigid it feels like. Its hard for me to know this is TMS/PPD without feeling relief. I started SEP and hope that this will work. My pain is constant and mostly gets worse when I sit for long periods.

Has anyone else been through this?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there. You aren't alone. Probably 80% of the people on this site have had years-long pain issues, maybe not in the areas that you have, but with TMS, as Dr. Sarno reports, it can affect any muscle, nerve, tendon…so pretty much any part of your body that moves.

It helped me to get these two books in paper form: Steve Ozanich's: The Great Pain Deception and Dr. John Sarno's: Healing back pain. Read them. Let them sink in. Reread when you are in pain.

The thing I would avoid is constantly looking to see: "Is this working?" It will make you crazy. You've tried many other things so give this time. I've had a life of TMS issues that went unrecognized so I knew it might take some time for my brain to accept that I was no longer "Open for business" in the pain department. I'm still learning.

Best wishes to you. Try to do something fun every day, as well. I'm having to learn that one as well.

3. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

P/S: Just a thought: You might want to think about changing your forum name. To call yourself "Pain patient" is to identify yourself as a person in pain. I know you are, but don't accept the label. I hope this makes sense.

RozieHolland likes this.
  4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi PP, and Welcome!

I love what MWsunin wrote. It is a process and almost everyone here has been through years of pain.

This feeling of the weight lifting seems pretty significant to me. By the way, muscle tension, stiffness is common.

You can see me skiing here, and know that for years I was limping around going to doctors and never took a walk for fun, because of foot pain. Good luck to you.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/skiing-two-years-after.14222/ (Skiing Two Years After)

Andy B

5. Pandamonium

Pandamonium Well known member

hi there, I was also in pain for 10 years, awful crippling pain - so bad I sometimes had to use a wheelchair. I read HBP in 2008 and after about a year my pain had 100% gone, it left in stages. I have been pain free ever since. There is hope!

readytoheal and MWsunin12 like this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, PainPatient. The others have given you excellent advice and encouragement. TMS healing can take awhile. Don't try to rush it and become discouraged. It's a process... a journey toward self-discovery. Keep positive and reading success stories. Here's a recent one:

"I often get pain in my stomach as a TMS symptom. Last night I felt it coming on after I laid down to sleep. I asked myself what emotions I was feeling, then took several breaths directed at the spot that hurt, and it was gone in minutes! I slept peacefully all night and woke up without any pain. – wife and mothr of two young children."

7. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

8. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Hi Pandamonium, could you please provide some details about the UK TMS doctor who treated you.
    Thank you.
    Fred.