1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Unlearn Your Pain new symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MiseryWilkes, Mar 18, 2022.

1. MiseryWilkes

MiseryWilkes Newcomer

Hi everyone,

I’m new here (go easy on me) and I really just need someone to tell me I’m not losing my mind!

To give a bit of background, I had an episode of vertigo in September and the doctors kept saying it was nothing to worry about and giving me a whole variety of medications, none of which made any difference. I had constant dizziness and i developed neck pain and weak arms. The doctors gave me blood tests and checked my ears but couldn’t find anything.
    i eventually saw a chiropractor who told me I had whiplash from a fall I had from a ladder in the summer. He manipulated my neck and it made a small difference at the start but it ended up worse, so I stopped going.

I got referred to an ENT physio who called me for a preliminary appointment, she said it sounds like I have an inner ear infection, even though I only have 1 symptom of this, and I have to wait until May to be examined.

Throughout this whole ordeal I have developed really bad health anxiety and decided to download an app to try and help with that. Through that app there was an ad for Curable and through that I ended up finding out about Unlearn Your Pain.
    I started to realise that during the vertigo period, I was so stressed out. We had twins the year before and moved house when they were a day old. It was so overwhelming. My symptoms changed so often too, so it made sense that this is a mind body issue…at least I think it is.

So with 2 months to wait until my ENT appointment, I figured I have nothing to lose and I will do the 28 day course.

I’m on day 1 and I have been reflecting on various issues throughout my life and it’s pretty tough bringing it all to the surface. I noticed that today I’ve got this sort of lump in my throat and my throat feels tight. My health anxiety is telling me this is bad and I should worry but I’m trying to shut it up, which I why I need your help.

Is this normal to have this sort of physical reaction? What sort of experience did you have doing week 1, if any?

If you’ve made it this far, thanks for sticking with me. :)

2. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Hello!
    They say that the pain is going to move around, sometimes becoming worst. It happens because you are now connected to the emotions that the pain tried so hard to protect you since you were born. Once you start to connect, the brain is going to send you other pains to distract you from the connection with the emotion underneath the pain. So, it-s working!Anyways travel gently troughout this journey !

3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I know when I get a lump in my throat and it gets tight, I feel like I need a good cry. Perhaps you have underlaying sadness. It sounds like you have quite a lot of responsibility too.

4. MiseryWilkes

MiseryWilkes Newcomer

Thank you for replying.
    I think I do have a great deal of sadness to release but I have this all consuming anxiety which is making it impossible to feel anything other than fear.
    I really hope that this journey can help with the anxiety too.

5. MiseryWilkes

MiseryWilkes Newcomer

Thank you so much for replying.
    That makes so much sense. I got really freaked out today and you’re right, I’ve had a whole variety of new sensations popping up.
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Hopefully this will all be worth it.

Dakota likes this.