1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 seized Up

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by sharon, Feb 23, 2015.

1. sharon

sharon New Member

I have read Dr Sarno's first 2 books and this is Day 1 of the curse but the pain is much worse today.
    I have a number of medical conditions and Addison's disease. Feels like my back has gone rock hard with tension.
    Not sure whether to take OTC painkillers or try to ignore it and hope it doesn't lead to new muscle patterns ben set up
    Any ideas please??

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

This is great news. I know it doesn't feel like it but your mind is trying to distract you from starting this program. Talk back to that pain.

"I am going to do this no matter how bad I hurt. Nothing is stopping me now. I can do this. I am going to be successful. "

You will learn so much about yourself.
    Welcome.

3. David88

David88 Well known member

If the painkillers help, take them! There's no need to suffer unnecessarily.

TMS recovery is a process. The books make it sound easy, like all you have to do is believe it's TMS and the pain goes away. That works for some people, but for many it's a lot more complicated.

If the pain gets worse when you start the program, that can be an important sign that you're on the right track. It means that you are challenging the TMS and it is fighting back. Keep at it, and don't expect instant results. Slow and steady wins the TMS race.

Ellen and Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Sharon, you've been given great advice from Stella and David.
    Dr. Sarno says it's okay to take an OTC painkiller, so long as you keep believing the pain is from TMS.
    I take an Advil if my back or knee act up (I was pain-free for about two years, but new emotional stresses
    have brought back some pain). I find that one Advil works fine and I hardly feel any pain. I've read
    that Advil is better than Tylenol. Read up on them and other OTC medications in a Google search.

5. sharon

sharon New Member

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Day 2 beginning..!