1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 - Ready to say goodbye to RSI

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by call_on_angels, Dec 11, 2016.

1. call_on_angels

call_on_angels New Member

I've been struggling with elbow, forearm, and finger pain for 2 years now. I've hardly started my dream job and already struggle through each day. Typing, mousing, grasping, lifting, etc all cause pain. I've tried at least 20 types of medicine over 2 years, spent a down payment on a house in fees, and thanks to traction and massage, I've been able to recover ~80%.

But my pain areas in my arms may have lessened in intensity but has spread in area: from 1 finger to nearly the entirely of both arms. I have pain in my hand and triceps from just typing these few sentences. Ive found NO doctor who can diagnose me with a major structural abnormality - only "normal abnormalities." Medical professionals have told me to look into my stress levels, but I had never done this because 1) friends would describe me as a motivated, but low-stress person, and 2) my pain fluctuations in the last 2 years have not, to my knowledge, correlated with conscious stress bouts (I would get more pain after doing arm-intensive leisure activities than at a high stress work situation).

I was at a point to assume I was chronically fatigued, that my nerves were going to need years to heal, etc. There have been 2 moments I've resumed no pain - and they were immediately following massage or traction, likely from increase in blood flow to the areas. And I understand now that low blood flow effects so much.

However, no matter who I go to or what I do, my pain returns to some extent. maybe I DID have a structural injury, but have since learned to associate activities with pain, as I have since lived in total fear of losing everything I love to this pain, and I mean everything - career, value as a person, finances, dreams, hobbies, possibility of marriage, etc. and anger towards letting myself get to this position.

TMS personality types lay out much of the type of person I am . and because of that, i'm not giving up hope for recovery. I know I have learned responses. I know I am not the most openly emotional person. I know my pain shifts along the same nerve line in both of my arms all the time. And I'm a few weeks away from losing my job because of the pain. So I'm doing TMS because 1) this may be me 2)this is the only thing I havent tried 3)I have absolutely nothing to lose, because i feel as if NOT trying is going to end in me losing everything (the fear). And in true TMS personality fashion - i'm going to give it everything I have!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

I know this pain all too well. It's scary when the problem could potentially cost you your job. This only stands to compound the problem. I can assure you, you're not alone with this and you'll be okay.

When mine happened, I lost fine motor skills for a few weeks. The nasty burning sensation that accompanied it was brutal. I think what made matters worse was that the doctors I saw were largely ignorant to the issue, and were more concerned with treating the ailment than the individual. They took a "there's nothing wrong and I can't help you" approach. A doctor lying and saying I'd be fine would have sufficed, after all I am paying this person anyway....give me a placebo.

In addition to following the protocol here, you need to get it out of your head you're losing your job, you're not. I'm not advocating you start walking around the office like Bob from the Enzyte commercials, with some awkward cheeky grin as if nothing is wrong. Let the pain happen then move on. When it strikes, remind yourself there's nothing wrong with [this] sensation and it's normal, then go on about your business.

I work 12 hour days hunched over a computer writing contracts and talking on the phone. I still get the occasional forearm "jiggle", but I do a brief reminder that it's okay, and it quickly abates.

You'll be fine.

3. call_on_angels

call_on_angels New Member

Thank you for your encouragement! I am making progress. I finished nearly 1 extra month of work and have confidence that I can keep going. It is mentally hard to push through some days, but I can absolutely notice the pain shifting away from my arms to different parts of my body (had major, unexplainable lower back pain and thigh pain for 3 days each, then it left....). I'm doing considerably better! I feel like I took a 180, but it is also hard journaling and noticing all the things I panic and stress about during the day, especially stressing about things that may not even happen. I'm now working on those, and not to let my inner bully get the best of me.

My digestive issues have also subsided, and while I usually get 4 colds/year, I felt one coming on last week and it never fully arrived. Thats never happened.

I also have foot pain and shoulder pain that came during points in the last year that I had less arm pain. I'm starting to look at those as TMS too, as they dont seem to have any structural issues either. More adventures to come...