1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day 1 Post

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by whitneylabonte, May 10, 2023.

1. whitneylabonte

whitneylabonte Newcomer

I have been battling nerve pain in my legs, feet, arms, and hands since the end of January. It started with a weightlifting “injury” which seemed just like a strained muscle in my back but when it spread into my extremities I was given an MRI. There were no significant findings or nerve impingement, just noted my scoliosis (which I’ve known since I was a kid) and minor degenerative changes (I’m now 30 years old) .. the one thing that gave me improvement was when my PT told me “there’s nothing structurally wrong with you” and told me my assignment was to go to the grocery store and make dinner. I had been bound to my living room floor prior to this. Since that day, my pain has continued to improve. Until I started trying to lift weights again. Working out has become a trigger for me, and since my back tightens up afterwards or during, and then the nerve pin follows. it makes me start to doubt that I have TMS and start looking for something structurally wrong with me instead. My new PT things the nerve pain was triggered by a strained QL muscle, however does acknowledge that my anxiety is a preventing factor in my healing. Since I know the anxiety increases the pain, I’ve now become afraid of my stress, which makes me even MORE stressed. A vicious cycle. I just want to get back to my old self without pain and without fear of fitness and fear of my own anxiety. I don’t trust myself or my body to keep me safe.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome the the forum and the SEP, @whitneylabonte. It sure sounds like you're in the right place! Let us know how it's going with the SEP, and don't hesitate to ask for support, especially if/when you start experiencing the symptom imperative (if you've read Dr Sarno you'll know what this is). It's a normal response of your fearful TMS brain when you start doing this work, and we're here to reassure you!