1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 of my Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mstrong, Apr 20, 2017.

1. mstrong

mstrong Newcomer

So, I'm another herniated disc guy. 43 years old - at 38 was diagnosed with a herniation at L4/L5 with a transitional process at L5/S1 (Bertolotti's Syndrome). I had a microdiscectomy a couple of years ago and felt pretty good up until about three months ago. I was frustrated and despondent. Back to the chiropractor and private lessons on the Alexander Technique. I started doing some more searching and discovered the Healing Back Pain book. Like many, a lightbulb went off right away when I started reading it and the pain decreased immediately. Totally had my ah-ha moment. Got up off the sofa, told my wife there is nothing wrong with my back and cancelled all further treatments and an imaging request from my GP. She looked at me like I'd gone nuts, but to her credit she said, "Great!" and let me do my thing without sharing her opinion on it.

That was two weeks ago. I've been working out regularly since and the pain hasn't been too bad. But, the fear is still there and I know that this conditioned focus is what is keeping this thing lingering. So, I'm working on it and this is my official day 1 record.

Day 1 has been good. Rode my bike to work. Sat in my office chair without issue. Felt a couple of pain pings in my glute and some numbness in my foot. Told my subconscious to f*ck off with that crap and that I don't need to be distracted from my emotions. Settled pretty quickly. Had a good ride home...some tightness in my back when I got off my bike - again, told my subconscious to stop it. Walked the dog and now I'm going to chill. Feeling good.

MSZ812 and MindBodyPT like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, MStrong. I'd say you have won the pain battle. Now you just need to keep reminding yourself that TMS works for you and STOP WORRYING.
    Worrying that pain will come back is just another symptom of TMS. Riding your bike to and from work, walking the dog, sitting at work with no pain...
    You could write a success story!

3. mstrong

mstrong Newcomer

Thanks Walt! I guess I've always been a worrier! Big part of the problem! I'm working on it.