Hi Digby, I am also suffering from a "frozen elbow" & "frozen shoulder" since about one year now.
The pain sure was TMS-related as I never injured my shoulder. But made the mistake to give it a brake way too long with the result: my shoulder is very painful and stiff now. Doctor told me I have to get phyio to mobilize it again. He thinks my pain is psychosomatic in origin but, as I did not move my shoulder for a long time, the stiffness is structural in the meantime due to a shrinked capsule or something like that (what is really, really frightening me!). Well, actually I don't get physio because I don't want to dalay my TMS healing. But at the same time I am very frightened that, without physio, my shoulder remains stiff or gets even more stiff (I still have a small range of movement).
And yes, I am very familiar to trigger points and myotherapy. Did dry needling for a long time, with no long lasting result: TRPs disappeared for a short while only to pop up somehwhere else or in the same place again.
Here I asked something about triggerpoints and TMS, check it out, there're some very helpful informations in it
http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/some-confirmation-needed-trigger-points.1881/
So I am also very interested in experiences from members of this board with so called "frozen shoulders". I am especially interested in knowing if the stiffness/"frozenness" could be a TMS symptom itself and nothing structural.
Doctor and I agreed that a MRI was not a good idea in my case as it holds the danger of a nocebo if some structural abnormalities would be found. So no MRI or further techniqual examination was done.
In "The Divided Mind" shoulder pain (often in the biceps tendon) is mentioned (and often misdiagnosed as impingement or rotator cuff tear, but I don't remember somebody mentionied a frozen shoulder)..so hopefully it's TMS!.
I guess my shoulder got worse because of a nocebo of my ostheopath. He described in detail the horror of this condition and that surgery is inevitable and so on. A few months later I developped, step by step, pain in every muscle and especially tendon around my shoulder and very slowly it got stiff as I was in fear to use it normal due to the pain. What a surprise...