1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 - Newbie Alert!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Switch, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Switch

Switch Newcomer

Hey everyone

I'm introducing myself and saying 'hello' tiphata.

A friend of mine told me about TMS at the end of 2019. I had never heard of it before, but I've always believed that the mind plays a huge part in health in general. I've had anxiety all my life to the point where I became agoraphobic and unable to live a normal life. In 2000 I came home from working abroad with a 'fever' and don't remember anything for three days while my now wife cared for me. I was in a bad way and dread to think what would have happened if she hadn't been around.

And so began the onset of muscular pain, physical exhaustion, immune system problems, until it got to a stage where I was too unwell to work. In 2004 I was diagnosed with Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome, as it was called back then, and a few years ago re-diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I haven't worked since 2004 and my life has been ruled my pain, exhaustion and anxiety.

I read an amazing book a couple of years ago that changed how I cope with anxiety, and I started to get my life back, but it's still there underneath. But this also left mainly physical discomfort, which became my focus. Then I was told about TMS from my friend. I bought Steve Ozanich's book, and after the first hundred pages, just stared in disbelief because he was practically writing about me! I was convinced that TMS was what I actually have. I then read John Sarno's 'Healing Back Pain', which reinforced the belief.

So, here I am, ready to do whatever it takes. I'm nervous about addressing my emotions as I know I bury them and am terrified of them coming up and having to face them. I have a lot of work to do. Thank you for reading my (long, sorry :yawn:) introduction.

I'm based in the UK, by the way.

yb44, JanAtheCPA and plum like this.
  2. glennherriott

glennherriott New Member

Sounds like you've come to the right place. Good luck with the program!

Switch likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

welcomea Hello sweetheart,

Welcome to our beautiful forum and the start of your healing.

Plum x

(I’m a fellow Brit)

Switch likes this.
  4. Switch

Switch Newcomer

Thank you both. I completed Day 1 and even got emotional watching the first video clip :). Great start :rolleyes:

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, @Switch, and I just want to say that I thought your story was perfect in many ways! NOT long, and it didn't dwell on symptom details or diagnoses, but rather on your willingness to be open to something completely new.

I think that you're going to experience an amazing journey :joyful:

yb44, plum and Switch like this.
  6. Switch

Switch Newcomer

Thank you for your lovely reply, JanAtheCPA. I am very hopeful and I feel very welcome here already. I look forward to reading members' success stories and getting to know some of you. I feel as though I've been building up to this for three or four months now. I didn't find the Wiki for a few weeks after reading Steve's book, but I was also attending a pain management course at a local hospital (actually based on similar principles to TMS) and felt that I couldn't combine that with the Program here. Now that has finished and I'm very excited to get started.

JanAtheCPA and plum like this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm encouraged to hear this!

8. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome from another Brit. wavea

Switch likes this.
  9. Switch

Switch Newcomer

waveabeerbuds

10. zenyatta20

zenyatta20 New Member

i am on day 17 and already have found relief . I hope you do too. If you don't know about the video channel on youtube pain free you, those are good as are Nicole Sachs the cure for chronic pain podcasts.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  11. Switch

Switch Newcomer

Thank you for the information. I've heard of Nicole Sachs and have watched some of her videos, but was unaware of the YouTube channel, so thank you. Even though I'm only on Day 4 (starting that in a couple of hours :)), I've already felt some relief from what little journaling I've done. It's only been writing a couple of lists, but for me that's already digging deep and just addressing what some painful events are has helped.

JanAtheCPA likes this.