1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by gnnmi, Jan 11, 2017.

1. gnnmi

gnnmi New Member

I've been lurking on the sidelines of this program for quite a while and am taking a big step with this post. I have increasing fibromyalgia, a bulging disc and increasing neuropathy. A neurologist told me that my spine is "terrible" and that I have severe spinal cord deterioration, even though the MRI report does not mention general deterioration. My back hurts more now after having steroid injections. Once that was said, my pain and discomfort began to increase. I tell myself that my biggest problem, the neuropathy, is not Dr. Sarno's focus, so this won't work for me. That's it for now. I'm scared about my challenges and scared about doing this program too. Hoping to read more stories of success with fibro and neuropathy. Thanks

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi gnnmi,
    I was diagnosed with neuropathy by Dr. Dellon, using this device, two times:
    http://www.dellon.com/publications/ipnsbrochure93_PSSD.pdf
    This was to explain severe chronic pain in my foot. Could barely walk because of the pain. And surgery was scheduled for "nerve release."
    Here I am skiing 2 years later. No surgery.
    I am not a physician, and I don't know your situation, but here is my experience. I was told the nerve was dying from lack of oxygen, because of lack of blood circulation. I believed this surgeon until I remembered that this was what Dr. Sarno says causes the pain: lack of bloodflow, oxygen. So using the TMS approach, here I am. Keep the faith, and good luck in this program. Be patient, persistent!
    Andy B

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/skiing-two-years-after.14222/ (Skiing Two Years After)

3. gnnmi

gnnmi New Member

4. gnnmi

gnnmi New Member

Thank you. I am encouraged.

5. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi gnnmi,

Welcome, and i'm sorry to hear your neurologist put things in those terms for you! I know how that can be, i've also been going through TMS recovery from back pain and sciatica. It sounds like there was a bit of misinformation regarding your MRI the way your doctor put things.

I'm a physical therapist and regularly see people with these types of images on their MRIs. I've never heard of someone having "spinal cord deterioration"...does that mean a lot of bulged or herniated discs? As you know from reading Sarno this is usually an incidental finding and NOT the cause of back pain. If the spinal cord itself was injured you would be having very different symptoms than just pain!

Regarding the "neuropathy" that can mean many different things from a true neuropathy due to diabetes or another physical disease to something more like sciatica or TMS-caused symptoms. Nerve symptoms (tingling, cramping, numbness, etc) can most definitely be from TMS, and those are fully reversible!

Feel free to send me a private message if you want any help interpreting what this doc told you! Glad you are here and thanks for sharing!