1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day 1 - Migraines and other chronic pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Arborescent, May 19, 2021.

1. Arborescent

Arborescent Newcomer

I've had migraines since I was a kid, and they got more frequent and more severe about ten years ago. I've been through the ringer with treatments and have put my life on hold at times. I struggle with missed work, canceled plans, anxiety and depression. I also have recurring neck/shoulder/low back/hip pain and other nebulous joint pain that flares up. I've been tested for autoimmune conditions (I already have 2 - pernicious anemia and Raynaud's), had chest scans and various x-rays. Nothing really explains the pain except I do have some early degenerative arthritis in my hip.

I'm a little concerned that since the majority of my migraines come around my menstrual cycle, they may be hormone-related, and maybe TMS treatment won't help them. On the other hand, if I already have increased stress levels related to TMS and then the hormone fluctuations add additional triggers on top of that, the migraines could be worse than they otherwise would be. So even if there is some biological basis (hormones), I accept that TMS could be the driver behind the severe and chronic nature of the migraines. Even if they were reduced to a couple a month, it would be life-changing. It makes me emotional just to type that.

I've also had to quit various sports over the years because of flare-ups in the shoulder and back/hip pain, which is so discouraging. I'm hopeful that I can get some freedom back to spend more time doing the things I love.

Balsa11 and hecate105 like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Forum!

I had severe and chronic migraines starting in childhood. I haven't had one in over 5 years since treating it as TMS. My migraines were also associated with my menstrual cycle and changes in barometric pressure. I got rid of these conditioned responses and you can too. You can read my recovery story by clicking on my profile.

In my experience, migraines are TMS and complete recovery is possible. There are many resources available to assist you on this site and elsewhere. Let us know where you are in your exploration of TMS and we can make some more specific recommendations.

Balsa11 and hecate105 like this.