1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day 1 (kind of)

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MikeInFlorida, Aug 9, 2016.

1. MikeInFlorida

MikeInFlorida New Member

I've been reading and researching quite a bit the past few days, but today is going to be my first official day of the program.

I am mostly convinced, and am now at the stage where my internal debates have become internal acknowledgements and dismissals of my old way of thinking.

Still, it can be tough. My symptoms (facial burning, tightness, pressure, skin-being-pulled sensation, occasional jaw/teeth pain) came on very quickly after a chiropractic neck adjustment. I spent a month and a half blaming my chiropractor. Googled every condition known to man. Was convinced by a few, I won't lie. But, another chiropractor, a PT, and MDs have not been very helpful. Being wrongly diagnosed with a stroke a month back didn't help much either.

I am hopeful though. While reading The Mindbody Prescription, I actually felt something... new. My symptoms switched sides! It was a real eye opener. I've also felt old aches and pains long resolved flare up during the past few days Other things that make me think its TMS is the timing of symptoms - they seem to be mostly absent upon waking. Also the nature and location will change at will, from cheek to nose, from forehead to chin, from left to right, inexplicably. Definitely strongest on my left cheek - maybe because it draws my attention most, being the original spot?

This was supposed to be short... whoops!

2. nelle

nelle Peer Supporter

That is a very encouraging post for me to read , As my symptoms are horrible head sensations and not the classic back problems. I think you really have to go with it especially as you had the swap of face signs. I know how easy it is to tell your self a story and keep the fear we are invested in , but i think that was a clear sighn for you . The closest i have come to this is yesterday i had a really painful stomach , while the pain lasted my head sensations were dramatically reduced . My thinking said ....That do sent prove anything , i was just in so much pain of course im going to be distracted from the head stuff i experience all the time . Because at that point the pain was more pressing . How ever maybe just the fact i didnt have the capacity to worry about my head sais something in it self . Nelle x

3. MikeInFlorida

MikeInFlorida New Member

The thing with sensations above the neck is that they are very hard to ignore. I've had neck, back, leg pain in the past and just ignored it and moved on, but its almost like brain knows that my weakness is anything in my face or head. I am actually starting to think that TMS will manifest in many different places briefly, until it finds the 'sweet spot' that will draw all your attention.

Today my scalp is tingly and my ear is burning (cool to the touch though). This is new and distressing. Maybe it came on because I made progress yesterday?

4. Bhamgirl

Bhamgirl Peer Supporter

Mike, I definitely agree with you assessment that the brain creates symptoms until it determines what you call the "sweet spot." Everyone has that one area that they are most vulnerable, and apparently for me it is my back and hips. I've always been able to let go of TMJ pains, numbness and tingling in my hands and feet, but if I feel a twinge or stabbing in my back and/or hips, I become fearful. It's such an aggravating process!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. BTW, what part of Florida are you in? I'm (begrudgingly) in the panhandle area...