1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1! Hopeful and terrified

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by giulietta90, Jan 11, 2021.

1. giulietta90

giulietta90 New Member

Hi everyone! I am here because I am hoping to find a way to get rid on my hands weakness and chronic pain.

I used to be a classical violist; four years ago a sudden excruciating pain showed up in my left arm while I was practicing... and never left. It has been a nightmare since then!
    I stopped playing for a while and then started to reintroduce viola slowly (5 minutes per day) while doing physio with a docotr specialized in classical musicians and dancers, but it never worked. The familiar weakness kept showing up again, followed by pain if I didn't stop.
    My musical career used to mean everything to me... and for a while I couldn't even brush my hair because of the pain. I've done multiple test MRI and ulstrasounds, after which I got diagnosed with De Quervain Syndrome and a beginning of osteoarthitis (not enough to justify the pain, they say)

Itried so many different thing I lost count!!

- Ice, warm patches
    - osteopathy
    - acupunture
    - cortisone injections (ew)
    - mesotherapy
    - Physio for three (3!!!!!!!) years

...nothing worked. Autoimmuno diseases just got ruled out last week and no inflammation whatsoever shows up in my blood work!

On January 2020, after 3 frustrating years, I decided to quit my musical career.
    Now I am working as an illustrator, and boy I love it so much! It brought a lot of joy and satisfaction in my life, because it comes so easy to me!! Music wasn't as easy. I just started and I am already illustrating a book!
    HOWEVER: the weakness keeps showing up and I am scared I am going to need to stop my current occupation as well...

I spoke with a TMS doctor in the us and he recommended omeopathy which hasn't worked and muscle energy ostheopathy, which I still have to try. I thought I would give this program a shot as well. I also read The Divided Mind by Sarno, and I saw myself on every single page!!!
    Still, a big part of me thinks this isn't TMS and I am hopeless. That I will never be able to do what i love the most (drawing) for a living.

This was so long. Sorry about that, and thank you for reading....

Baseball65 and Hedger like this.
  2. giulietta90

giulietta90 New Member

I am crying while reading the stories of people who psychologically are so similar to me (goodist, extra hard on themselves, etc), and went through astoundingly similar path! Yet I am almost too scared to think that might be me one day..... I am a little mess.

Baseball65 and Hedger like this.