1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 - Got rid of my back pain in the 80s, now pain is in my foot

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Paige NeJame, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Paige NeJame

Paige NeJame New Member

I am starting this program as a patient of Dr. Sarno from the 1980s. I was completely healed of my back pain and the pain for the last 20 years has been in my foot. I didn't recognize it as TMS at first because the foot it's in has had multiple surgeries, infections etc., so it's easy to say "I have a bad foot," but when I really think about it, the kind of pain I feel is the exact same "nasty" pain that I felt in my back. The other clue that it's TMS is that it comes and goes. Gets better when I sleep more. Gets worse when I feel stress in the form of someone questioning my abilities, micromanaging me or when a situation feels not within my control (esp when I have to depend on someone who I don't necessarily feel confident in). I definitely am one of those people who suppresses my anger and seems calm and cool on the outside. Although I don't get mad often (something I wear as a badge of honor), I am usually just millimeters away from completely losing it.

So the question of the day is: What would a life without pain mean? I suppose not having pain would mean that I would have no barometer of my emotions. I'd have to be able to recognize my anger and deal with it. It would mean that my days would seem lighter. More carefree. And while I don't ever let the pain stop me from anything, it would mean that whatever I was doing could be more enjoyable to me.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Paige. I'm glad you have come to this Program and hope you will do some journaling about why you are angry and are suppressing it. Maybe make a list of things that make you angry, then journal about them.

3. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Paige, I'm glad that you realized this foot pain was TMS. Since you healed from back pain in the past, I'm sure this foot pain has an expiration date very soon. Good luck to you!

- Matt