1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1: and so it begins

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JV63, May 30, 2015.

1. JV63

JV63 Peer Supporter

Good day all,

Just started the SEP with day 1 after going through week 0. I've had lower back pain on and off for 20+ years. I've been good for a while but a recent purchase of a new car, which being a car guy, should be very exciting has brought on the back pain.

I have pain sitting in the car so driving it is painful. I never get that when I'm the passenger in other car so I know I'm doing it to myself due to the stress of wondering if I made the right decision in getting a new car when technically I didn't need a new car.

So that's where I am right now and want to get over the "belief" of thinking that I have a physical issue regardless of the fact the MRI showed herniated discs. If I can sit in other cars, why not my own...

I hope as I go through this program to learn more about TMS and my repressed emotions. I have read Dr. Sarno's book, healing back pain and feel that TMS is my diagnosis.

Cheers,
    Jay

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jay. Whether an MRI shows a herniated disc or not, Dr. Sarno says that does not hurt.

I do believe your pain from driving your new car is TMS from something psychological.
    You should not feel guilty about buying a new car. You like cars and so why not buy a new one?
    If nothing else, you are helping the economy.

Your guilt may be behind your TMS. The SEP program encourages journaling to discover the
    emotional causes of our pain. It worked for me, helping me discover childhood stresses that
    began when my parents divorced when I was seven.

TMS is a wonderful journey into self-discovery that helps us understand ourselves better.
    That leads to healing pain caused by our emotions.

Try not to let yourself be conditioned to expect pain when you drive your new car.
    That's what your subconscious wants you to do. Resist that and focus on the TMS causes of your pain.

You say you have had back pain for more than 20 years. No structural pain would last that long,
    so it sure looks like it is from emotional stresses that go a long way back.

You will get there. It takes work and time, but definitely is worth the effort and you will heal
    and be happier and healthier than ever.