1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day 1 - Accepting TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by HongKongLouie, Mar 7, 2018.

1. HongKongLouie

HongKongLouie New Member

I initially had my onset of pain begin in April 2017 after giving someone a spot on bench and having to lift the entire bench off of them. From there I did the whole realm of structural treatment- Chiro, MRI, PT, Accupuncture, Massage - nothing seemed to help.

My MRIs revealed the dreaded bulging/herniated disc at L5-S1 right side, but I had no sciatica and my pain always moved a long both sides and into my mid back. Doctors and physios came up with a thousand descriptions of my ever changing symptoms, but I know now it was TMS.

About 3 months ago I got my first cortisone shot into my epidural and that gave me a spinal headache that lasted for 2 weeks and an increase in pain. A month later I was convinced to get another cortisone shot into my facet joints which came with another major increase in pain and a series of side effects like insomnia, depression, and nausea. Since then I've signed off from doctors and traditional treatment!

About a month ago I read Healing Back Pain and I saw a lot of myself in the pages, but not entirely. I'm working to accept the TMS diagnosis but it's difficult since I've done so much research on structural injuries my subconscious still has it doubts. My personality and movement of pain really fits into TMS, and I'm hopeful that this program will finally help me get over that mental hump and look into my brain to heal. The hardest part I'm struggling with is returning to normal activity because for me even getting into work is very difficult. I know I'm slower than most, but I'm more hopeful now than I've been in at any time of my pain cycle.

2. LindenSwole

LindenSwole Peer Supporter

Welcome - we're starting on the same day and we're both gym guys! I think my knowledge of structural injuries set me behind a bit as well. I've been working at this since July of 2017 with my initial onset of pain coming in August of 2016. I'm all-in on TMS - it's the way out - 100%

HongKongLouie likes this.
  3. Celestialstar

Celestialstar New Member

Welcome. I am new to the program as well, just starting day 10. My TMS began due to medical issues that were structural but also cellular in nature. I have also struggled with acceptance because logically, in my case, it is difficult to know where cellular damage might end (there is no scan for this) and TMS might start. So which is it?

I don't know. But I have found that as I have started journaling and verbalizing (I read my journal entries aloud after I write them - very different emotions that way) I have a lot more going on inside than perhaps I initially considered. Interestingly the pain has started to move around which is a bit of an A-HA moment for me. I have also found visualization techniques on the 'Curable' app (a TMS type app) have enabled me to turn the pain off, even I briefly, which seems telling as well.

So I would encourage you to just go for it. It certainly can't hurt and if TMS is at play, I suspect you will know it fairly quickly as you move through the work.

4. Lynn S

Lynn S Peer Supporter

WOW you got a lot of help already with others you can really relate to I hope. I bet you're not afraid of risks and go all in when tackling anything. So my two cents is make up your mind that you're not your mind and own TMS...GO FOR IT.

Celestialstar likes this.