1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1, 2 & 3 - The TMS Personality

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by AngK, Jun 10, 2013.

1. AngK

AngK Peer Supporter

Well I'm a little late in posting my Day 1 thread.. but oh well!

I was recently diagnosed with myofascial pain syndrome (although I knew long before my doctor).
    I have dealt with back pain for three years. Last fall it snowballed into peripheral neuropathies.
    While doctors poured over MRIs and x-rays showing "normal abnormalities", I searched for the reason behind the real problem: the mine field of trigger points that my body had become.

I hesitated to accept TMS simply because at first, and at second, glance I didn't fit the personality: I'm not a perfectionist or most of the other adjectives usually used. I'm going to post this information about myself in case those doing internet searches may stumble upon it & it may help.

I didn't seem to fit the personality in some of the articles I initially read, but after reading Sarno's book I realized that I'm hard on myself. There are no excuses. I was raised with the notion that every problem must be a little bit your fault (stuff doesn't just happen): you didn't plan well, you didn't see it coming, you should have, could have, etc. Also, I was a rebel in my youth and when I turned myself around I was able to accomplish it by throwing myself into things. I've always been busy, busy, busy. My plate is always full. What would happen if I was idle? *shudders at the thought* And my sense of humor? A way to acknowledge problems without getting into them. My repression habit is going to be very hard to break. It IS my personality. I'm not a complainer... master multi-tasker... I don't nag and I don't blow up at my kids (well, very often)... and I'm the peacekeeper. So if I discontinue repressing then what will happen? My conscious has been asleep & my subconscious on autopilot. I believe this will be the hardest part for me: staying aware of when I'm repressing. And my biggest fear is that the TMS will manifest itself in new ways & I won't have control over it.

On the up side, though, I'm not afraid of the pain. I went back to my favorite fitness class today and worked up a good sweat. Experienced some short lived twinges & spasms but nothing bad. And I'd say my back pain now is about the same as usual, but I feel much better!

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

when I started the program I thought I had 2 of the personality traits. I certainly did not think I was a prefectionists. I don't care anything about a super clean house and organization...nope not me. But I am very much a perfectionist and so fear disappointing others. I blame myself even if I have nothing to do with the problem.

Good for you in your fitness class. Welcome to an amazing journey AngK.