1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 31 Current stressors

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by douggie, Dec 28, 2016.

1. douggie

douggie Peer Supporter

Today, you are going to shift gears and free write about any current stress or anxiety in your life. As you go through this process, attempt to bring in any insights you may have learned about your personality. How does your personality increase or decrease stress in your life currently

it's hard for me to find balance. I like to go fully into something, or not at all. This stresses me out with work. It's hard for me to get started. I've worked obsessively my whole life - perfect grades in high school, top of my class in undergrad, really stressful long hours job.

Now I just want to chill out. I'm currently living in Puerto Rico, in a small surf community. I go surfing every time there's an opportunity. I watch a movie or two every night and wake up between 10 and noon. I've been doing this for three months now and feel pretty lazy. I have a fairly successful online business that runs more or less on its own. I know that long term I need to put effort into my business and other money generating ventures, but it's like I don't want to get started; so I'll just do the bare minimum.

Perhaps this is due to my perfectionist personality trait - i don't want to get started because I dread how many things have piled up and I know how long it'll take to get through them.

Anyways these are some free written, unedited thoughts.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Ack. Me too, douggie. I believe this is one of the key issues in procrastination. And I believe it's the main thing holding me back from being 100%. It's a tough one....

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Douggie. I think it's fine to go surfing and enjoy a relaxed life in Puerto Rico.
    I wonder what your online business is. I could sure use one that would help pay my bills. I've been a fulltime freelance writer for years, mainly books for preteens, but the market has dried up. I know I should be replying to help you with your TMS, but... I bet that if you are in a one crunch, you will work harder.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

4. douggie

douggie Peer Supporter

Hi Walt,

I'm selling products on Amazon and eBay that I design here and have manufactured in the US/China. I'd be happy to discuss my business with you over the phone if you wanted (send me a pm). Happy new year!

Regards,
    Doug

5. douggie

douggie Peer Supporter

Yeah, I think the issue is, I had really big dreams of owning a large company when I was younger, and this factored into my personality. So now, when I'm relaxing, I feel like I'm not moving toward my dream and it gives me anxiety

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

H, Doug. I was just curious about what you sell online. I have some new writing work so I won't need
    to talk to you about your work. Good luck and good health in 2017.