1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

CT Scan

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ajm222, Dec 13, 2018.

1. ajm222

ajm222 New Member

Hello,

I am scheduled for a CT Scan (feeling a bulge in my torso and have some IBS symptoms) and worried about the radiation. Just wondering if anyone else here was concerned about the dangers of some of the imaging that many of us undergo. I worry that I might get an all-clear from a CT Scan, but then spend the next twenty years worrying about increased risk of cancer based on my hypocondria.

Thanks

2. Snowman

Snowman Peer Supporter

Do NOT worry about ct scans. Ive had 2 normal and a deep ct scan where they put a dye in your blood through a stint in arm. And do not worry about radiation. That's all bull shit,there is nothing in there that can do any harm whatsoever for the amount of time you are in there . And if you are worried about it ask them before you go in to ease your mind. You will be fine trust me. Ive also had x4 MRI this year. 2 on head nothing found. 1 on lumbar nothing found 1 and pelvic nothing found.
    The radiation amount you get is miniscule compared to the amount you have come into contact with your life so far without you or anyone of has realised . So just chill watch a funny film etc. And I'm typing this while in a flare just after feeling 70% good all day. Lol...
    Again I say . YOU HAVE NOTHING to be scared of the machine. I say to myself it's to help me find whatever is wrong Or not wrong .. let me know how you get on

ajm222 likes this.
  3. ajm222

ajm222 New Member

Thanks. The CT Scans do use a lot more radiation than your average chest X-ray for example (as much as 500x or even more) and they have to tell you it could slightly increase your lifetime risk of cancer. But I think there’s some debate about whether even these doses are actually proven to be truly harmful. And I guess there’s more concern with children and those who get many scans over shorter periods of time. One probably is ok. I’d prefer an MRI but they’re more expensive and take longer and I guess the doctor didn’t think it was the right choice in this case for whatever reason. Will update after I get it, assuming I don’t cancel. Thanks again.

4. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

Dose levels of CT scans usually range from less than 1 mSv to about 35 for an extensive procedure. Depending upon your age, your additional cancer risk will be in the 1/2000 range. (5/1000’s of 1 percent) Understanding, if I remember correctly, average cancer risk is 40% anyway, the additional (theoretical) risk is as close to 0 as you can get. MRIs can actually create a hearing issue if you don’t protect your ears during that long noise exposure period, always remember that. I would do a CT over MRI any day.

Most dose radiation studies have been done only through the survivors of H. Now, that being said, I would not go in every month for a full body CT scan

Define theoretical—-theory of an area of study, rather than a practical application or in other words, could it happen, yes, but there is no proof.

Oh and the scare mongers give you the 500x to make a point. If the dose level of a chest X-ray is .1 mSv, then 500x would be 50 mSv, probably not accurate. Apples to oranges. Check out
    radiologyinfo.org that is a great site for accurate information.

Rest easy, my friend.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019