1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Crutches?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by KevinB, Apr 19, 2018.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

In the grips of a pretty gnarly flare up, symptoms jumping around like crazy, but all make it very painful to walk. I feel like I’d be able to get around much easier with crutches, but I worry if I start to use them I’ll either become dependent on them, or I’ll be nurturing a physical/structural belief, or both.

Thoughts and experience?

2. birder

birder Well known member

I was on crutches after I broke my leg (or rather, had it broken for me, lol), and while the bone has healed nicely, TMS moved right in - a handy spot for distracting me indeed. I kept the crutches in my car for a few months - mostly for big box stores - but didn't become dependent on them. For me, when the choice was between sitting on the couch because walking was too painful or using crutches short-term to keep active, it's option 2 all the way. Your body needs movement.
    As far as nurturing a belief in a structural diagnosis, YOU know the truth of the matter, and you can work that out with your brain. But be careful of all the sympathetic people who want to hear your "story," because if you don't want to explain about TMS and so make something up (shark attack, fell out of a tree while geocaching etc.), eventually your subconscious will buy into it. And then when the clerk asks, "Do you need help out with that?" you'll be like, "Yes!" And that might get into your head a bit.
    On a practical note, if you do try the crutches, make sure they're properly fitted and have mega-padding on the armpit rest.

KevinB, Lynn S, Time2be and 1 other person like this.