1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Could oats be affecting my mental health or stress?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Jan 10, 2022.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

I have been feeling mentally drained/fatigued for some time now and I wonder, is it because I mostly eat oats or because of too much overthinking or stress?

2. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

I'm not gluten intolerant but oatmeal always made me feel tired and down. Candy made me a little cranky. I guess it's the sugar crash. Proteins like eggs are nice though.

I'm sure TMS was involved though.

3. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

I’m guessing it could be TMS in me.

4. CaptivaLady

CaptivaLady Peer Supporter

I am very deeply committed to offering alternate views on the impact of nutrition. While I do believe that nutrition is important, I also feel that dietary restrictions are a slippery slope for the TMS mind. I have spend months and years on various restrictive diets and elimination diets (yes, including veganism and carnivore). I have been fully committed and am not a person who deviates. When I do something, it is ALL THE WAY. Those diets have never solved my issues, which have been many. In fact, EVERY single TMS relapse has been preceded by a dip back into dietary restriction.

I am certain that we are far more resilient than we would like to believe. Wanting the elimination of oats to be "the fix" is the same as any other external treatment modality.

Massage from fear? Unwise
    Massage from a place of love and self-care? Go for it.

Dietary restriction from fear? No bueno
    Dietary changes from a place of love, curiosity and self-care? Sure. Have at it.

My personal TMS journey is very much centered around dietary restriction. I have official diagnoses for IBS-C, and myriad other things. I have been free from categorical food restriction since February of this year, and my health continues to improve. I do not have symptoms. You are welcome to check out my story in the success section.

The only thing I do now is macro tracking. On any given day, my diet could include organic meats, fruits and veg... or a pop tart and some pizza.

JanAtheCPA likes this.