1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Could ischial bursitis be TMS, too?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Seraphina, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Seraphina

Seraphina Peer Supporter

As I've been recovering from foot injury and not able to walk well with cast & crutches, I used to sit for more than 2 hours once I sit down on a chair--for the last 2 months. I remember I had the not-so-severe "pain in the butt" time to time before (e.g., when I commute by subway), but it was not so severe then.

However, this time the pain developed gradually while I was recovering over 2 months, and yesterday I felt a very sharp, stinging pain all of a sudden while I was coming back home, sitting in a subway. I googled the symptom, and it pretty much matches with the symptoms of ischial bursitis: the pain in the butt only exists while sitting--it feels like the butt bone is pressed so hard on the chair.

I remember Dr. Sarno said Piriformis syndrome is TMS, but not sure if this one could be TMS, too. I'm using a soft cushion while working, trying to stand up and walk around every 30-40 minutes before it gets too painful. It seems orthopedic docs will only recommend me such things and some anti-inflammatory.

I believe my body is strong and will be good again if I take enough rest when the pain is acute, but I'm working 8 hours a day as a clerk--whose work is basically sitting down in front of the computer for a whole day. I can't give myself a good rest to be healed :(

There should be many people fully recovered from this b/c it's a pretty common thing, but I also see some people on the Internet whose pain developed so severe that they can't even sit for more than 20 seconds. This is getting scary...woooo

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Seraphina, you really need to keep reading your TMS books, etc. Some of your views about the body are still not in line with Dr. Sarno's theory fundamentals. When you are sitting at work you are resting. Your butt is not doing any work sitting still. Dr. Sarno has said you CANNOT hurt yourself by sitting or lying in bed. THROW YOUR CUSHION AWAY--unless it's a Whoopee Cushion and good for some merth and merriment.

You are suffering from the SYMPTOM IMPERATIVE--it's like Whack-A-Mole, you get rid of one symtom and another pops up to continue the TMS emotional distraction , to PROTECT you from facing your emotions.

You need to STOP immediately googling symptoms AND instead READ, READ, READ the TMS books. Sorry to be so direct and not sugar coat this, but you've been posting here long enough, and hearing the same TMS answers that they should be sinking in.

Your TMS is still protecting you from the unconscious emotions. It's time for a TMS KNOWKLEDGE PENICILLIN kick in the gluteous maximus. STOP GOOGLING NEW SYMPTOMS--INSTEAD READ THE TMS BOOKS UNTIL YOU CAN PRONOUNCE THEM BY ROTE.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    cindi f. likes this.
  3. Seraphina

Seraphina Peer Supporter

Tom! Thanks and I always appreciate your advice!
    I know that my knee, elbow, back pain are TMS and that they are showing symptom imperative. But this one is just so new.... I just wanted to be confirmed if it's safe to consider that as TMS, too, because orthopedist under traditional medical education will only see this as a mild ischial bursitis.

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Seraphina, if you have a new symptom, by all means have it checked out by a physician to make sure it isn't anything serious structural.

G'luck!