1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Continuing the waves of TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by COgirl05, Aug 17, 2015.

1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

I have posted about this before but here I am again. I'm now 28 weeks pregnant and having glute pain that is uncomfortable. I'm trying to employ the Same TMS strategies but I know I'm doubting it some because of pregnancy. The original TMS pain is 99% gone and this is on the opposite side. I'm trying to not be fearful and just go on with life but it's difficult. Any words of wisdom into what I should do?!

2. Mala

Mala Well known member

Maybe accept that some pain may not be TMS & maybe because of the pregnancy? Its not uncommon to have some physical discomfort when you are having a baby especially at 7 months.

If u accept this pain in yr glute as just some discomfort associated with being pregnant & say to yrself that it will go away soon then u won't feel so anxious. This may help u from being sucked into the 'Oh no not again' cycle of thoughts.

Wishing u & the baby all the best.

Mala

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with Mala, it's the power of thought.

Try and convince yourself it's related to your pregnancy and not your TMS symptoms. I know, easier said than done But if you attribute the pain to an event. which is temporary you may trick your mind.

Wishing you all the best.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi COgirl - Mala's advice makes sense to me, because it incorporate TMS theory.

Here's the thing - all pain, and any condition, can be eased by the use of TMS theory to change your mind about it. When I crashed my bike and broke my hip in 2009, I was in extreme pain until the ER doc told me that it was a simple fracture, and that I could be "pinned" and on crutches in a couple of days. My pain level went down immediately because I no longer had visions of being bedridden for 8 weeks - 80% of my pain was related to that fear. I never took opioids even after the surgery, I made do with Ibu and Tylenol, started doing my exercises immediately and became as active as possible right away.

This was two years before I learned about Dr. Sarno and TMS.

So I wonder why pregnancy brings with it so many aches and pains and other complaints like heartburn and so on? Could it be because you (along with every other pregnant mother-to-be that ever was) are kind of freaking out by the whole concept? It's a scary thing!

You don't say what strategies you're using, but for me, when I'm beset by symptoms again, journaling is the one thing that works, although I will usually put it off until I'm desperate. Journal, or make lists about your pregnancy, about the upcoming changes in your life, about your relationships with everyone else in your life who will also be affected by the new arrival, (even the cat or dog or whatever), and face the many fears that are probably lurking in your unconscious, which your sneaky brain things are too dangerous for you to look at. This includes things which your subconscious will try to tell you are "silly" - like worrying about the cat! Those fears are there, your brain is trying to repress them, and when they sneak to the surface, your brain gives you a symptom to distract you. Bringing them out in the open works for me - I hope it will help you!

All the best, and keep us posted!

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

An 85 year old lifelong bachelor is probably the last person to advise about pregnancy pains, but I think Jan is right that they are emotional. Becoming a mother is a major new role to take on. But you are in good company. There have been a few mothers before you, your own included. Don't worry about being the best mother in the world. Just give love and cuddle the darling. Enjoy your new life and that you gave life to someone.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  6. kevinmichael

kevinmichael Peer Supporter

I know very little about pregnancy. However if the pain keeps moving around that is a sign of TMS. It has done all kinds of things to me. Most recently I had a large rash for no reason. It tested negative for bacteria. If you are fighting the pain with TMS strategy and it moves you are most likely winning the battle.