1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 contemplating getting cortisone shots

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Allen_V, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Allen_V

Allen_V Newcomer

when was the last time you exercised or did another physical activity? What was this activity? How did it make you feel physically and emotionally? If it is has been a while since you last exercised, why?

The last time I had a true workout was about 2 months ago. I was a month into my injury and I was sick of being at home. I made plans with a friend to go hiking who knew I was having pain. He asked me if I was sure, and I remember thinking of course, a light hike shouldn't damage my recovery. I was frustrated with my pain and didn't care about babying my knees that day.

We got on a pretty beautiful trail in the morning and hiked for about 2 miles or so. I had to scale a rock or two which is usually no problem for me. I was worried about what I would be able to accomplish during the hike. I don't remember having to stop hiking from the pain. I do remember that my knees felt sore during the hike and the pain shot up after I got home. It was a fun time on the trail.

Around the same time frame I tried to play soccer with my friends. I told them I would be taking it light due to my injury. I had to stop playing mid game and sit because I started to feel pain in my knees. I remember sitting on the grass and rubbing my knees while my friends continued playing. I was so bummed out. I just wanted to be active again.

I didn't exercise again after that experience. My thought process was the more I exercise the longer my recovery will last/ the longer I will be in pain

I practically felt cured when I learned about TMS, I started taking the stairs again reminding myself to live my life normally again, not to worry about damaging my body. I felt renewed. But I had 2 stressful days at school where I was practically there the entire day studying for a midterm. Since then my pain has been lingering but I keep reading the 12 reminders and taking deep breaths.

I'm contemplating getting cortisone shots. I feel like that may be the solution here. My doctor is making me jump through hoops to get it, So I have kind of given up and am focusing on school work. I have to get another MRI and do physical therapy with him and frankly I don't have the time for that. I guess I am imagining the shots as a quick fix-it-all.

But I suppose my problems are rooted deeper than that. I try to remind myself my body is conditioned to respond with pain to things like standing for a long period of time or taking the stairs.

The journal exercises so far have been pretty interesting. I found myself writing down a traumatic event from my childhood and reliving the details vividly. It was interesting that I remembered so much of the details. I hadn't thought about it for a while.

And the 'things that make me sad' list make me sadder than I thought. One example is that my aunts dog is getting pretty old, and I practically grew up with that dog. I will miss her so much when she is gone. She was always there for me after school when I would walk to my aunts house to hang out until my parents picked me up.

I feel like I havn't been going to my aunts house because I hate seeing that dog sick. She can hardly play or move comfortably anymore.

anyways I don't know how I went from writing about my knees to crying over the computer thinking about my aunts dog but here I am!

God I love that dog.

- Allen V

2. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

The C shots are NOT a cure or quick fix it all. TMS wont respond to this, only to the placebo though in your mind that you just expressed that you think it will be a quick fix. He might as well inject you water and tell you it will fix you and it will have a positive effect. Cortisone have the later effect of physically and really debilitating and making weaker the tissue it is injected in. So, either by the placebo effect or the effect of cortisone, you might feel good for a time , and then it will become worst later and you will have weakened muscles or tendons that wont repair that easily. You can have the same effect by having trigger point injections, and you can even have those with the needle only and no medicine at all. They just release the pressure in your trigger points. There is also a natural injection of (please dont laugh) what they call rooster cartilage. It is not cortisone and I had an over 60 years old friend had it with success. Best luck to you with what you decide will help you. Just my .2 cents.